Principal Research Scientist/ Engineer - Critical Minerals
Principal Research Scientist/ Engineer - Critical Minerals
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Are you an enthusiastic individual looking to lead and mentor, while conducting innovative research?
- Play a key role in the Mineral Processing Program
- Opportunity to create a dynamic career path in this exciting role
CSIRO Mineral Resources (CMR) is one of the largest minerals research and development groups globally, with a proud track record in delivering innovation and solutions across the mineral resources value chain. We thrive on innovation harnessed by the diversity of the minds and lived experiences of our team and apply our expert knowledge and specialised research to provide innovation that solves the complex problems faced by minerals companies, mining equipment, technology, and services (METS) companies, government, and other industry stakeholders.
CMR’s Mineral Processing Program is one of the largest mineral processing R&D programs in the world, with ~100 employees, and a long and proud history of undertaking world class R&D with a very strong focus on industrial innovation via technological commercialisation.
As a Principal Research Scientist/ Engineer, you will conduct innovative research leading to scientific achievements that are aligned with Program strategies. Working closely with existing staff, you will engage in scientific activity ranging from fundamental research to the investigation of specific industry challenges. You will play a lead role in providing scientific leadership and pursuing new ideas and approaches that create new commercial opportunities in hydrometallurgical processing. In particular, you will leverage your status as a researcher (publications, citations, postgraduate completions and existing academic/research network) to deliver growth in postdoctoral fellows actively engaged in hydrometallurgical research relevant to critical minerals (e.g. lithium, nickel, cobalt, graphite, high purity alumina) through pathways internal and external to CSIRO.
Your duties will include:
- Set project goals within the Business Unit’s research direction and manage the delivery of project outcomes.
- Undertake leading edge scientific research and maintain active research collaborations to access/share leading edge concepts and technology to thereby advance project goals.
- Progress complex, sensitive or contentious research matters to finality.
- Lead the strategic research component of projects, contribute original ideas and concepts and determine the most appropriate strategies to achieve project goals.
- Possess knowledge across a range of scientific disciplines.
- Lead and/or participate in a number of projects simultaneously (including multi-disciplinary or multi-Business Unit projects).
- Maintain active national and/or international research collaborations in order to access/share leading edge concepts and technology to advance projects.
- Other duties as directed
Location: Waterford, Perth, WA
Salary: AU$141k to AU$157k pa + up to 15.4% super
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a field relevant to hydrometallurgy, such as chemistry or chemical engineering.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake original, creative and innovative research by generating and pursuing novel ideas and solutions to scientific research problems, particularly in the hydrometallurgical space.
- Excellent mineral industry and innovation ecosystem networks.
- Demonstrated ability to secure and mentor a team of talented postdoctoral fellows and postgraduate students, along with existing early career researchers.
- Be recognised by their peers as making a significant contribution in their field of science or engineering.
- A demonstrated strong history of authorship on scientific papers in peer reviewed journals and/or reports, grant applications or inventorship on patent applications.
- Experience working within (or closely associated with) the minerals industry in any R&D or innovation leadership role.
- Direct relevant experience with the science and/or production of critical minerals.
- Have a track record of translating scientific outcomes into impact.
- Experience with establishing and maintaining domestic and international partnerships with industrial and academic institutions.
- Demonstrate the ability to collaborate at the intersection of disciplines.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian/ New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa (sponsorship may be provided to eligible candidates).
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
28 August 2022, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 28 Aug 2022
- WA - Waterford
- AU$141k to AU$157k pa + up to 15.4% super
- Work Type:
- Full Time