Geomechanics Engineer - [Archived Advertisement]
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Join CSIRO Mineral Resources and be a part of fundamental research related to sustainable mining
- Contribute to innovative projects related to applied Mining Geomechanics
- Opportunity to create a dynamic career path in this exciting role
CSIRO Mineral Resources (CMR) is one of the largest minerals research and development groups globally, with a proud track record in delivering innovation and solutions across the mineral resources value chain. We thrive on innovation harnessed by the diversity of the minds and lived experiences of our team and apply our expert knowledge and specialised research to provide innovation that solves the complex problems faced by minerals companies, mining equipment, technology, and services (METS) companies, government, and other industry stakeholders.
The Mineral Resources Business Unit is performing fundamental research related to sustainable mining. The main areas of research include developing sensors for stress-strain measurements, cutting for selective mining, measurement while drilling, numerical modelling for deep level caving, and innovative mining methods (e.g., in-situ mining, in-mine recovery, and in-line mining). The research team also works on developing new energetic materials for surface and underground mining applications to improve the drawbacks of the conventional products and perform advanced numerical modellings to improve the understanding of the interaction between the rock masses and charges for dynamic rock fragmentation.
As the Geomechanics Engineer you will have the opportunity to build and maintain networks, play a lead role in securing project funds, provide scientific leadership and pursue new ideas and approaches that create new concepts.
You will be working with a multi-disciplinary team of scientists, engineers, and graduate and post-graduate students from CSIRO, Mining3, and different local and international universities to deliver industry-funded applications projects and research and development projects. You will be capable of supporting the team in developing proposals for both the mining industry and research institutes and organisations such as Caving2040, MRIWA, and CRCs.
Your duties will include:
- Conduct advanced 3D, Multiphysics, numerical modelling for novel mining approaches.
- Work under supervision from senior researchers to design experiments and conduct tests related to Multiphysics challenges in mines
- Communicate with mining industry stakeholders to initiate, and manage innovative projects providing their technical input related to applied Mining Geomechanics
- Co-supervise post-graduate and undergraduate students with partner universities
- Prepare research publications, reports, publish in conferences and journals
- Travel to sites and manage the implementation of research projects, when required
- Select the most profitable line of attack upon a problem, prepare detailed design proposals and experimental protocols.
- Other duties as directed
Location: Pullenvale, QLD
Salary: AU$102k to AU$111k pa + up to 15.4% super
Tenure: 3 year specified term
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a relevant field such as Geomechanics and Geotechnical Engineering providing a background in geomechanics numerical modelling, specifically using developing and coding large scale models, with a very good understanding of fluid flow in geo-materials and coupled processes in rock masses.
- A valid Australian C Class Drivers’ licence
- Demonstrated ability to undertake original, creative and innovative research by generating and pursuing novel ideas and solutions to scientific research problems.
- A demonstrated publication history of authorship on scientific papers in peer reviewed journals and/or reports, grant applications or inventorship on patent applications.
- Programming experience with C++ and Python
- Experience in conducting geotechnical and petro-physical laboratory experiments
- Sound understanding and implementation of safety requirements
- Ability to carry out independent high-quality research, to achieve organisational goals
- A significant record of science innovation and creativity plus the ability to apply well-developed research skills to scientific investigations.
- Willingness and ability to travel to mine locations and stay on site for extended periods.
- Experienced in performing feasibility studies for projects related to geoscience and geo-engineering
- Demonstrated knowledge in the field of geological sciences and engineering, (e.g., petroleum and reservoir engineering) and their applications in in-place mining
- Knowledge of continuum damage mechanics and its application in rock mechanics and rock engineering
- Experience in developing research proposals
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian Citizens, New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents only.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
12 July 2022,, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 12 Jul 2022
- QLD - Pullenvale
- AU$102k to AU$111k pa + up to 15.4% super
- Work Type: