CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Pathogen Genomics and Bioinformatics - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Pathogen Genomics and Bioinformatics
Acknowledgment of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation.
- Do you have a PhD in bioinformatics, computational biology, or molecular virology/biology?
- Exciting opportunity based at the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
The Postdoctoral Fellow will be based at the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP) in Geelong. The project will use advanced bioinformatics techniques to accelerate the role of high throughput sequencing (HTS) in the diagnosis and understanding of viral and bacterial diseases. As HTS becomes ever more accessible and cost-effective, diagnostic tests are moving toward a ‘big-data’ future with an increasing requirement for bioinformatics capability.
In recognition of these changes, the Fellow will develop sophisticated and reproducible computational workflows for pathogens of significant biosecurity concern to Australia and help move HTS to the forefront of diagnostic investigations
Your duties will include:
- Carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will lead to novel workflows and bioinformatics outputs for HTS diagnostics and research.
- Conducting research investigations requiring originality, creativity and innovation, specifically to develop robust and rapid HTS workflows and pathogen genome analyses for a range of different diagnostic and research objectives.
- Planning and designing relevant studies to ensure reliability and accuracy of bioinformatics pipelines and analyses, including compiling and submitting documentation for institutional and regulatory approval.
- Producing high quality scientific papers suitable for publication in quality journals and for client reports in collaboration with relevant project leaders or domain experts at ACDP.
Location: Geelong, VIC
Salary: AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline such as bioinformatics, computational biology, or molecular virology/biology with a focus on analysis. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Practical experience with HTS analysis and bioinformatics techniques, such as genome assembly, metagenomics, transcriptomics, phylogenetics, evolutionary or microbiome analysis.
- Evidence of advanced data analytics and programming capabilities in at least one language relevant for bioinformatics (e.g., Python, R, BASH).
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or Australian temporary resident currently residing in Australia (visa sponsorship may be provided to eligible onshore candidates).
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
30 January 2022, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 30 Jan 2022
- VIC - Geelong
- AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: