Agricultural Research Assistant - [Archived Advertisement]
Agricultural Research Assistant
- Work in agricultural research and add value to our Australian Cotton Industry
- Multiple indefinite opportunities on offer!
- Gain on-the-job training & development within CSIRO’s Cotton Breeding Group
CSIRO's cotton research is improving the sustainability, productivity, fibre quality and distinctiveness of the Australian cotton crop through development of high-performing varieties, matching crop management strategies, improved post-harvest fibre processing technologies, and development of value-added co-products. Currently with 100 percent of Australian cotton grown from CSIRO varieties, we're adding value at all levels of the Australian cotton industry, including molecular biology, plant breeding, crop management and post-harvest processing.
The Agricultural Research Assistant will be part of our dynamic and multi-skilled Cotton Breeding Group, and will provide valued assistance in general field & greenhouse operations and maintenance, and various sampling & experimental work at Myall Vale, NSW.
We have several Agricultural Research Assistant roles available within the team that are generally of similar nature. However, specific duties and responsibilities for each role may slightly differ.
Your duties will include:
- Supporting the planting, weeding and maintenance of field and greenhouse experiments.
- Assisting with hand and machine harvest of experiments at the Australian Cotton Research Institute and other district sites.
- Preparing seed for planting, including delinting, packaging and arranging according to plans.
- Ginning cotton samples and assisting with fibre quality testing.
- Operating machinery such as cotton planters, cultivators, fertiliser rigs, spray rigs and harvesters to manage cotton and other crops.
- Irrigating crops when required.
- Supporting insect identification in both the greenhouse and field.
- Assisting with laboratory-based research activities, including sampling experimental material and electronic data capture, collation and entry.
Location: Myall Vale, Narrabri, NSW
Salary: AU$48K – AU$62K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- A current driver’s licence.
- The ability to lift, bend, walk and undertake repetitive motions and the ability to undertake manual handling & operate equipment safely in accordance with Health and Safety Procedures.
- The ability to encourage safe work practices within a team environment.
- The desire and enthusiasm to work in agricultural research that helps maintain the vibrant Australian cotton industry.
- The ability and willingness to work in harsh and adverse conditions whilst fulfilling health and safety requirements*.
- Capability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary and carry out tasks under the direction of Scientific Researchers.
- Competence in computer operation and an understanding and experience of data collection.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
* Please note this role involves a significant amount of outdoor fieldwork, and may require working outside of general work hours.
To be eligible to apply for this role, you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident currently residing in Australia.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent, as well as undertake a pre-employment medical examination prior to commencement.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Sunday 26 September 2021, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 26 Sep 2021
- NSW - Narrabri
- AU$48K – AU$62K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time
- Agricultural Science