- Apply your digital expertise to large and complex mineral resource data challenges
- Help position Australia for digital transformation across exploration to mining to processing
- Make a difference! Join CSIRO as our Mineral Resources “rising star” Science Leader
As a Science Leader with CSIRO Mineral Resources, you will lead CSIRO’s research and innovation in digital disruption across the minerals value chain – Minerals 4D. While huge steps are being made in the ability to collect, deal with, and extract information from Big Data, utilisation and adoption of this approach by the minerals industry is far behind. In this role, you will collaborate with a range of domain experts to develop build new data analytics platforms that will examine ways in which applied mathematics and data science can be combined with data streams, in particular from sensors in mineral/chemical/physical analysis and mapping.
Using your geoscientific understanding together with a deep knowledge in areas such as applied mathematics and data science, mineral resource data streams, machine learning modelling and/or the application of Bayesian-based statistics, you will help build predictions of 3D and 4D (time series) parameters like mineralogy relevant through the value chain. Ultimately, the research you lead will allow us to more accurately predict how various ore body properties affects value creation and destruction through the exploration, mining and beneficiation processes.
Your duties will include:
- Lead a scientific initiative to develop an analytics platform which examines ways in which applied data science methods can be combined with mineral resources data streams.
- Create new tools for the minerals industry and to recognise future commercialisation opportunities.
- Anticipate industry and/or community needs and market direction through client liaison/networking.
Location: Perth, WA, Sydney, NSW, other locations negotiable
Salary: Attractive salary package is negotiable
Tenure: Specified term of 5 years
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or equivalent) in an aspect of data science as applied to resource industry related science challenges, plus relevant research experience.
- Recognition as an aspiring leader in the R&D community. Ability to take a lead in our work with partners, particularly representation at senior levels in new initiatives
- Deep knowledge of applied data science to mineral resource data streams – areas such as machine learning modelling and/or the application of Bayesian-based statistics to measure uncertainty in simulation and predictions of 3D and 4D (time series) data across one or more aspects of the minerals value chain.
- A significant record of science innovation and creativity plus the ability to apply well developed research skills to scientific investigations.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Thursday 28 January 2021, 11:00pm AEST