- Do you have experience in working with insects or insect cultures?
- Be part of a team working on an international project identifying fruit fly genes!
- Join CSIRO Health and Biosecurity and make a difference!
CSIRO Health and Biosecurity is seeking an experienced Research Technician – Fruit Fly Genetics to be part of a team working on a project funded by Horticulture Innovation Australia.
In this diverse role, you will assist with CRISPR-Cas9 experiments, maintaining several Bactrocera fruit fly species in culture, and establishing, maintaining and crossing lineages derived from CRISPR-Cas9 treatments.
Your duties will include
- Maintaining stock cultures of Bactrocera fruit fly species.
- Maintaining independent Bactrocera fruit fly lineages without cross-contamination.
- Conducting single pair matings of individuals derived from Bactrocera lineages.
- Assisting with phenotyping and genotyping of Bactrocera derives from single pair matings.
- Maintaining accurate records in laboratory notebooks.
Location: Canberra (Black Mountain) ACT
Salary: AU$63k - AU$80k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 2 years
To be successful you will need
- A degree in biological sciences and/or relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated experience assisting with laboratory experiments involving insects or maintaining insect cultures for experimentation.
- Good oral and written communication skills coupled with excellent record-keeping abilities and a high level of attention to detail.
- A willingness to follow instructions and complete tasks to prescribed timelines.
- A history of professional and respectful behaviours and attitudes in a collaborative environment.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view the Position Description
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish - D&I Strategy
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.