- Drive Awareness and Alignment through Relevant, Accessible and Appealing Publications
- Immerse Yourself in an Inclusive Culture
- Join CSIRO in Solving the Greatest Challenges through Innovative Science and Technology
The Communication Advisor will contribute to, and implement a communication strategy for the CSIRO Oceans and Atmosphere Business Unit that is aligned with the broader Corporate Affairs and CSIRO Strategy. The role supports, and sometimes leads, the creation and delivery of integrated communications and corporate affairs within the Business Unit, primarily focused on external communications and engagement, but with an application to internal audiences as an important stakeholder and message proponent.
This role will deliver a range of activities such as writing articles, media releases, creating digital content, drafting strategies, liaising with science stakeholders, developing collateral, and supporting issues management, all of which contribute to ‘One CSIRO’ positioning and enhancing the CSIRO brand, whilst positioning CSIRO as trusted advisor in the domain areas of atmospheric, climate and oceanographic research.
Your duties will include
- Establishing and maintaining trusted advisor relationships with scientists, business development experts and other stakeholders to deliver key Business Unit (BU) priorities
- Contributing to the implementation of the communication strategy, ensuring alignment with the broader Corporate Affairs and CSIRO strategies
- Playing a key role in the delivery of integrated plans leveraging stakeholder relations, media relations, digital and social, content and marketing communications to build and protect CSIRO brand – focusing on ensuring CSIRO is relevant, engaging and accessible
- Where required, leading small project teams to deliver campaigns, influencing and negotiating with stakeholders to deliver impact
- Liaising with the media to identify and develop compelling stories about CSIRO science
- Assisting the BU Communication Manager with the identification and management of issues, as required
- Building and maintaining team-focused relationships across all areas of the Corporate Affairs team, sharing knowledge and working together in pursuit of the development and promotion of best practice Communication management
- Having a flexible, adaptive and responsive approach in the delivery of one-CSIRO activities across the wider Corporate Affairs team
Location: Aspendale (VIC), Canberra (ACT) or Hobart (TAS)
Salary: AU$83K - AU$94K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 14 months
To be successful you will need
- A relevant tertiary qualification and relevant experience in science communications, PR, marketing, digital, media or journalism.
- 3+ years' experience in communication/media relations or working as a journalist/writer.
- Previous experience in the delivery of communication plans, with strong skills and experience in areas such as science communications, media relations, public relations, government affairs, digital content creation, marketing and communications
- Demonstrated understanding and experience of issues management, communications and stakeholder engagement in contentious and complex areas of science
- Proven experience in being able to readily adapt to changing circumstances and to operate well with situations that lack clarity in order to achieve team objectives
- Ability to build and maintain excellent collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders that help to achieve positive outcomes
For details about who to contact and for more information please view Position Description
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
23:00 AEST 24th May 2019