- Work on mine methane emissions abatement and mine waste treatment.
- Contribute to research that aims to reduce GHG emission & minimise environmental impact.
- Join CSIRO - Australia's premier science & technology research organisation!
The Thermal/Chemical Engineer will conduct research and development in the areas of mine methane emissions abatement and mine waste treatment. The research aims to reduce greenhouse gas emission and minimise environmental impact. The work will involve use of a combination of disciplines, including combustion, heat transfer, reaction, thermodynamics, and fluid dynamics.
Your duties will include
- Develop mine methane mitigation and capture technologies.
- Develop new processes and technologies for mine waste treatment.
- Liaise with clients to determine their needs and take personal responsibility for client satisfaction.
- Under limited direction, assist in the planning and preparation of research proposals and carry out research investigations, requiring originality, creativity and innovation.
Location: Pullenvale, Brisbane
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
Salary: AU$97K – AU$105K + up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will need
Under CSIRO policy only those who meet all selection criteria can be appointed.
- A PhD in Thermal Engineering/Chemical Engineering, or an equivalent field with a minimum of 5 years demonstrated R & D experience.
- Demonstrated expertise knowledge in combustion, heat transfer, fluid dynamics and thermal dynamics.
- Engineering skills in designing and setting up laboratory scale rigs and small pilot-scale units including combustor, heat exchanger, furnace. Excellent experience in operating the pilot-scale units.
- Demonstrated ability to analyse problems and develop appropriate and practical solutions.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and effectively, and to work cooperatively with others in a team environment, and to liaise at a number of levels from management through to technical staff.
- Demonstrated leadership and project team management skills to deliver research outcomes on time.
- A solid track record of publication in quality, peer reviewed journals.
For more information please view the Position Description.
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
Open until filled.