- Apply your experience with continuous flow chemical processing
- Develop new chemical manufacturing routes for industrial research
- Join CSIRO’s Centre for Industrial Flow Chemistry
We are seeking an Experimental Scientist to work on industry projects as part of CSIRO’s new FloWorks Centre for Industrial Flow Chemistry. The facility is a technology transfer centre providing access to cutting-edge research into industrial processing for chemical manufacturers. The centre operates state-of-the-art flow chemistry reactor technology for the development of chemical processes on laboratory and pilot scale.
In this role, you will convert existing, or establish new, chemical synthesis projects, as continuous flow processes under the supervision of a senior scientist. Working closely with industrial partners, you will deliver practical manufacturing solutions for the nominated products.
Your duties will include
- Adapting and/or developing original experimental methods/equipment/concepts/ideas in support of existing and further research, promptly addressing where methods may not be defined and initiative is required in seeking new approaches to meet experimental and/or technological needs.
- Developing new chemical manufacturing routes for industrial research projects using flow chemistry and/or high throughput screening methods.
- Communicating openly, effectively and respectfully with all staff, clients and suppliers in the interests of good business practice, collaboration and enhancement of CSIRO’s reputation.
Location: Melbourne (Clayton), VIC
Salary: AU$82K- AU$93K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 12 months (maternity leave cover)
To be successful you will need
- A Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering.
- Knowledge and the commitment to safe work practices in the laboratory.
- Experience with synthetic organic chemistry – planning synthetic routes and experiments under the supervision of a senior chemist.
- Experience in chromatographic separation techniques, such as GC, HPLC, column chromatography, and also in recrystallization techniques.
- Knowledge of and experience in characterization and analysis techniques used in the chemicals and polymers industry. For example, but not limited to, NMR, IR, mass spectrometry, Raman, UV, ELS, GPC, HPLC, GC.
- The ability communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing with evidence of ability to co-operate and perform effectively as part of a research team, and work in a multidisciplinary project.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view Position Description.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. See more online!
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
28 March 2019