- Produce advanced scientific software for real-world applications.
- Be part of the Computational Software Engineering and Visualisation Team
- Join Data61 - Australia’s leading data innovation group!
An outstanding opportunity exists for a motivated and skilled C++ software engineer to join the Computational Software Engineering and Visualisation Team (CSEV) within Data61 at CSIRO. The successful candidate will be part of a multi-disciplinary team of software engineers and scientists that produce advanced scientific software for real-world applications. To support the development of such applications, the CSEV Team develops world-leading scientific application development frameworks for use both inside and outside CSIRO. One such framework is Workspace: a cross-platform framework designed to enhance productivity, enable collaboration and software reuse and to facilitate the distribution and commercialisation of software products.
The successful applicant will be responsible for developing high-quality applications using our software infrastructure for deployment into research and commercial environments. The successful candidate must have proven experience developing commercial applications using C++. They will be adept in the use of state-of-the-art software development practices and systems and will have a professional and proactive view of their software engineering career. As such, the successful candidate will be looking to further their experience and skills by joining and contributing to an experienced, professional software team.
Your duties will include
- Develop commercial-quality software using C++ and building upon our software frameworks, for deployment both inside and outside of CSIRO.
- Contribute to the code-base daily.
- Be responsible for developing high-quality applications using our software infrastructure for deployment into research and commercial environments.
- Compile, execute, profile and debug code on multiple platforms (including Windows, Linux and Mac), and use software engineering best-practices, such as version control, continuous integration, automated test suites and work item tracking software during daily activities.
Location: Clayton, Melbourne
Salary: AU$83K – AU$94K + up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will need
Under CSIRO policy only those who meet all selection criteria can be appointed.
- Relevant tertiary qualification or equivalent experience in Software Engineering or Computer Science.
- Commercial programming experience in C++.
- Experience in software development processes and software development systems. In particular, demonstrated experience of working in a test-driven, agile development or continuous integration environment is necessary.
- Experience with the following software utilities:
- Source code repositories (e.g. SVN/Git),
- Work item tracking (e.g. JIRA/TFS),
- GUI libraries (e.g. Qt/MFC),
- Cross platform build systems (e.g. CMake).
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, and carry out tasks under general direction from Scientific Researchers.
- The ability & willingness to contribute novel ideas and approaches in support of scientific investigations.
- Demonstrable ability to work under limited direction and be able to assist researchers (even when external or remote)
For more information please view the Position Description.
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
Open until filled