Ready to make a splash in your career? WaterNSW is seeking an experienced Hydroclimate Modeller (Full-Time, Max-Term) to join our team.
This is an opportunity to work with an essential organisation creating a more sustainable future for the state.
This role offers the flexibility to work around life, your contribution will be valued, and you’ll be supported to build a rewarding career.
Note: This is a full-time max term position for 2.5 years.
Our perks and Benefits:
At WaterNSW, we believe that our employees should be as well taken care of as our rivers, dams, and pipelines, that’s why we offer a load of benefits.
- Flexible working
- Work a 9-day fortnight at Full pay on the Enterprise agreement
- Up to 16 weeks paid parental leave
- Fertility leave
- Yearly corporate wear allowance
- Professional development and educational assistance
- Salary Range $126,780 - $152,149 base + super
- And so much more!
What you’ll do:
- Design, develop and implement new risk based contemporary models of hydroclimate extremes, as well as tools and products required for regional supply and flood modelling services, especially those relevant to flood and storage operations, river operations and hydrologic risk assessments of declared NSW dams.
- Develop baseline hydroclimate and hydrological models for NSW dams to support, flood and seasonal forecasting, water resource planning and operations, and hydrologic risk assessments.
- Perform model calibration, validation and forecast verification using Numerical Weather Prediction datasets for modelling tools designed for flood and river operations, as well as frequency analysis of hydroclimate extremes at priority locations and scenario modelling of extreme floods to support Portfolio Risk Assessment of declared NSW dams.
- Update and maintain the existing models, modelling tools and products used for wide ranging
applications in regional NSW.
- Provide support to Water Modelling Systems specialists for designing, developing, and maintaining complex scientific applications.
- Work collaboratively with external Research Partners of WaterNSW, and internal Information Technology Partners to transition state-of-the-art research models into fit-for-purpose operational modelling systems.
What we are looking for:
- Relevant tertiary qualifications from an Australian educational institution in Hydrology, Atmospheric Science, Environmental Science, Computational Science, or an equivalent/comparable overseas qualification.
- Demonstrated experience in flood and water forecasting and the investigation of hydrologic impacts of climate variability and change.
- Demonstrated expertise in developing and/or implementing complex scientific applications in water, earth system sciences or other domains directly informing management and planning in the water resources and related sectors.
- Professional programming skills for scientific computing using agile languages including Python, R and/or MATLAB and in system languages including C++ and FORTRAN.
- Demonstrated experience in ARC GIS and handling of vector and raster data for scientific applications.
How we will support you:
At WaterNSW, we embrace the opportunity to integrate work into our life by having full ownership of our work week. We value getting the job done rather than looking at your work hours.
We are proud to be a WORK180 Endorsed Employer and are committed to providing equal opportunities for women. Visit our WORK180 page to access our benefits and career development opportunities https://work180.com/en-au/for-women/employer/waternsw
More about our team / culture:
We communicate openly and honestly while maintaining respect for each other. This means we get things done. We understand that everyone is different, and this is what we value as part of our inclusive culture.
Who is WaterNSW?
When people think of essential human services, water supply is one of the first things that come to mind - and that’s where WaterNSW comes in. We are NSW’s primary bulk water supplier, river operator and comprehensive provider for licensing, water trades and water information.
For more information, please reach out to: Jasmine Choong on email@example.com
Please note applications for this position will close on 26th February 2024.
Click for Position Description - Please note this can only be accessed on the WaterNSW Careers Page.
You must have full work rights in Australia to qualify for all positions at WaterNSW.
We are a 2023 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to respond to every applicant.