CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Social Sciences - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Social Sciences
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our?vision towards reconciliation.
- Do you have a PhD in Computer & Data Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Sociology, Behavioural Science, Media Studies or Sustainable Management of Natural Resources?
- Want to conduct world class research and development with a team of dedicated professionals?
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
In this highly multidisciplinary position, you will undertake research into the automated monitoring of social attitudes towards development and resource exploitation in marine environments. The monitoring system will provide intelligence on public perceptions and warning about events potentially leading to conflict.
You will incorporate both quantitative and qualitative methods, building on social psychology theory and advances in Artificial Intelligence (AI), and you will acquire skills in the fields of social media, discourse analysis, statistics, and Social Licence to Operate.
You will interact with a highly multidisciplinary, 9-member-strong project team with an established, well-functioning working relationship and you will be exposed to a wide range of disciplines, methods and working styles.
Your duties will include:
- Carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Recognise and exploit opportunities for innovation and the generation of new theoretical perspectives, and progress opportunities for the further development or creation of new lines of research.
- Carry out research investigations requiring originality, creativity and innovation.
- Record, manage, and analyse potentially sensitive data/information using relevant domain data science techniques.
- Proactively undertake development to grow effective researcher capabilities to support career goals.
Location: Perth, WA (however Hobart or Sydney may be considered)
Salary: AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as Computer & Data Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Sociology, Behavioural Science, Media Studies, Sustainable Management of Natural Resources. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Demonstrated experience in computer programming (e.g. in R, Python or similar).
- Demonstrated experience in social psychology or related fields.
- Demonstrated experience in AI-based automated text analysis methods applied to social media.
- Demonstrated experience in both quantitative (including statistical analysis) and qualitative analysis methods.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible for this role, you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or Australian temporary resident currently residing in Australia and be able to commence in the role by 30 June 2022.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
30 January 2022, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 30 Jan 2022
NSW - Perth
WA - Perth
TAS - Perth
- AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
Natural Resource Management