We seek experienced senior research scientists to guide our teams as we build a research hub to pursue new Deep Earth Imaging science. Deep Earth Imaging science and related technologies will help us better image and understand the subsurface rock properties and processes that in turn will unlock the resource potential of the vast and relatively underexplored areas of our continent.
Scientists and engineers with leadership and mentoring experience are needed from the geosciences sector, including geophysics and geochemistry, but also from mathematics, physics, data science, computation and software engineering.
The overarching goal is ultimately to deploy our science outputs and outcomes through industry and governments to build technologies that can be applied to solve the challenges in securing future mineral, energy and water resources for Australia.
There are 4 leadership positions available across 4 principal themes with a focus on:
- Simulation, modelling and inversion of data to build better models that accurately quantify risk;
- Data integration and upscaling e.g. linking petrophysics with geochemistry/mineralogy/hydraulic properties (digital rock);
- Uncertainty quantification and prediction e.g. Bayesian and other methods of estimating uncertainty;
- Novel computational delivery mechanisms e.g. distributed high performance computing, virtual laboratories.
Location: Kensington WA
Salary: CSOF6 - AU$106K to AU$124K plus up to 15.4% superannuation and CSOF7 - AU$127K to AU$141K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Appointment will be made at level 6 or 7 depending on skills and experience
Tenure: Fixed three-year term, with the possiblity of indefinite appointment for the right candidate
To be successful you will need:
- Confirmed recognition as a leader in the international science and/or technology R&D community.
- Demonstrated deep knowledge of at least one area of specialisation within the focus areas of the Deep Earth Imaging Future Science Platform.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in successfully initiating and effectively managing a research, development or demonstration project.
Before applying please view the full position details and selection criteria here: Position Details
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day.We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today - for our customers, all Australians and the world. We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
How to Apply: Please upload one document only that includes both your cover letter and CV/Resume, ensuring that you provide enough information relevant to this position to enable the selection panel to determine your suitability for this role. If your application proceeds to the next stage you may be asked to provide additional information.
Applications Close: 11:59pm AEDT, 29 January 2017