- Develop commercial-quality software using modern C++.
- Work-life balance with flexible working arrangements.
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s premier science & technology research organisation.
An outstanding opportunity exists for a motivated and skilled C++ software engineer to join the Computational Software Engineering and Visualisation team (CSEV) within Data61 at CSIRO Clayton. The successful candidate will be part of a multi-disciplinary team of software engineers and scientists producing advanced scientific software for real-world applications in areas such as computer vision, advanced manufacturing and Industry 4.0. To support the development of such applications, the CSEV Team develops world leading scientific and application development frameworks for use both inside and outside CSIRO. One such framework is Workspace; a cross-platform C++ framework designed to enhance productivity, enable collaboration and software reuse in order to streamline the distribution and commercialisation of scientific research and software products.
The successful applicant will be responsible for developing commercial-quality applications using our frameworks in support of CSIRO and other Research & Development organisations. The successful candidate must have proven experience developing commercial C++ applications. They will be adept in the use of state of the art software development processes and systems. The successful applicant will work on projects under the direction of senior staff and be mentored by senior members of the CSEV team. The successful candidate will have a professional and proactive view of their software engineering career and as such will be looking to further their experience and skills by strongly engaging in a professional software team.
Data61 and CSIRO recognise the challenges of starting a new role during the COVID-19 pandemic and is prepared to be flexible on conditions relating to on-site work, face-to-face meetings and working hours.
Your duties will include:
- Developing commercial-quality software using modern C++ and building upon our software frameworks for deployment both inside and outside of CSIRO.
- Contributing to the codebase daily.
- Compiling, executing, profiling and debugging code on multiple platforms (including Windows, Linux and Mac), and use software engineering best-practices, such as version control, continuous integration, automated test suites and work item tracking software during daily activities.
Location: Melbourne, Vic
Salary: AU$83k – AU$94k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified Term until 20th December 2021
To be considered you will need:
- A tertiary degree in software engineering, computer science or similar and/or equivalent commercial experience.
- Commercial software engineering experience writing C++ software applications, with a strong customer focus and a proven capacity to deliver. An understanding of object-oriented programming, object-oriented class libraries and C++ templates is essential.
- Demonstrated experience working in a test-driven, agile development or continuous integration environment.
- Experience with the following types of software engineering processes and tools: source code repositories (e.g. Git/SVN/TFS), work item tracking (e.g. JIRA/TFS), GUI libraries (such as Qt), cross platform development tools and environments (such as CMake).
- The ability to work proactively and effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, and carry out tasks autonomously to meet Project deliverables.
- Demonstrated ability & willingness to contribute, and effectively communicate, novel ideas and approaches.
For more information please view the Position Description.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.