Australian Laureate Fellows for 2011 announced
Australian Laureate Fellowships worth over $44 million have been awarded to 17 Australian and overseas researchers.
The Fellowships, awarded by the Australian Research Council, include two new awards named after prominent women researchers, the inaugural Kathleen Fitzpatrick Australian Laureate Fellowship, won by Professor Pippa Norris from The University of Sydney, and the Georgina Sweet Australian Laureate Fellowship, won by Professor Mahananda Dasgupta from The Australian National University.
Professor Pippa Norris is currently is the McGuire Lecturer in Comparative Politics at the John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, USA and a Visiting Professor at The University of Sydney’s Department of Government and International Relations.
Professor Mahananda is an experimental physicist at the Heavy Ion Accelerator Facility in the Department of Nuclear Physics at ANU, and an international leader in accelerator-based nuclear fusion and fission.
Other Fellowship recipients for 2011, their administering organisations and their current positions include:
- Professor Martin Asplund, ANU, currently Director at the Max Planck Institute for Astrophysics;
- Professor Craig Moritz, ANU, currently Director of the Museum of Vertebrate Zoology and Professor in the Department of Integrative Biology at the University of California, Berkeley, USA;
- Professor Warwick Anderson, University of Sydney, currently Professorial Research Fellow in the Department of History and the Centre for Values, Ethics, and the Law in Medicine at The University of Sydney;
- Professor Michael Keane, University of New South Wales, currently Australian Research Council (ARC) Federation Fellow and Professor of Economics at UNSW;
- Professor Ian Petersen, University of New South Wales, Australian Research Council Federation Fellow and Professor at the School of Engineering and Information Technology, UNSW;
- Professor Gordon Wallace, University of Wollongong, Director of the Intelligent Polymer Research Institute (IPRI) and Australian Research Council Federation Fellow at the University of Wollongong, Executive Research Director of the ARC Centre of Excellence for Electromaterials Science (ACES) and Director of the Australian National Fabrication Facility (ANFF) Materials Node in Wollongong;
- Professor Peter Bartlett, Queensland University of Technology, Research Capacity Building Professor in the Faculty of Science and Technology at Queensland University of Technology;
- Professor Bernard Degnan, University of Queensland, Australian Research Council Professorial Fellow at the School of Biological Sciences and is the Director of the Centre for Marine Science at the University of Queensland;
- Professor S. Alexander Haslam, University of Queensland, currently Professor of Social and Organisational Psychology at the University of Exeter, UK;
- Professor Jason Mattingley, University of Queensland, Foundation Chair in Cognitive Neuroscience at The University of Queensland, where he holds a joint appointment between the Queensland Brain Institute and the School of Psychology;
- Professor Maria Forsyth, Deakin University, Professor at the Institute for Technology Research and Innovation and Chair of Electromaterials and Corrosion Sciences at Deakin University, Associate Director of the ARC Centre of Excellence for Electromaterials Science;
- Professor Peter Hall, University of Melbourne, Australian Research Council Federation Fellow and Professor of Statistics in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at The University of Melbourne;
- Professor David Studdert, University of Melbourne, Professor and Australian Research Council Federation Fellow at the University of Melbourne, holding joint appointments at the Melbourne Law School and Melbourne School of Population Health, where he is the Deputy Head of School;
- Professor Stuart Wyithe, University of Melbourne, Professor in the School of Physics at The University of Melbourne;
- Associate Professor Philip Bland, Curtin University of Technology, currently at Imperial College London, UK, and an Adjunct Professor at Curtin University of Technology.
Details of the Fellows and their research projects are at http://www.arc.gov.au/media/major_announce.htm#laureates2011