Biorisk Manager - [Archived Advertisement]
- High profile role with the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP)
- Lead biosafety, biosecurity and biocontainment in a world-class Facility
- Play a key role in progressing research into emerging infectious diseases
CSIRO Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP) provides Australia’s highest level of biocontainment within purpose-built biosecurity infrastructure (Biosecurity Level 4). Our people and partners work tirelessly to protect Australia’s valuable livestock and aquaculture industries, and the community, from exotic and emerging infectious diseases.
The Biorisk Manager will lead the biosafety, biosecurity and biocontainment function in the ACDP Facility. They will lead 12 specialised staff and play a key role in ensuring the continued biocontainment of the facility, and adherence to safe and compliant working standards in a highly regulated environment. The Biorisk Manager provides high level advice and Facility Management, with overall responsibility to ensure staff and users of the facility are trained to the highest contemporary international standards.
In addition, the Biorisk Manager holds senior management responsibility for compliance to quarantine, gene technology and security sensitive biological agent (SSBA) regulations, and works with our Health and Safety team to plan for and respond to emergency site responses and safe working practices.
Your duties will include:
- Lead the Biorisk Management Group (BMG) at ACDP in biosecurity, biosafety and biocontainment with coordinated input from other groups such as ACD’s Institutional Biosafety Committee.
- Ensure that, compliance, biosafety, biosecurity and biocontainment risks are identified, mitigated and reviewed as appropriate.
- In conjunction with the Biocontainment Microbiologist, the Biocontainment Engineer and other staff, provide advice on biorisk management issues to staff, senior management and external clients.
- Act as the ACDP contact for the ACDP Security Assessment Group (ASAG) and the ACDP Medical Advisory Committee. Serve as a conduit between these entities and the management and staff at ACDP. Assist in prioritising major risks, mitigation measures and review.
- Develop and maintain an active R&D portfolio in the area of biorisk mitigation, covering high consequence animal and zoonotic disease pathogens, delivered through the BMG team, the ACDP and the wider CSIRO as appropriate.
- Act as a leader in the commitment to workplace health, safety and biorisk at the ACDP National Facility.
- Participate in roster as Duty Microbiological Security Officer (MSO) to address after hours problems. Willing to receive phone calls at other times when available to provide advice to others performing the duty MSO roster.
Location: Geelong, Victoria
Salary: Attractive salary package negotiable including 15.4% superannuation & relocation expenses
To be considered you will need:
- A post graduate Biological Sciences qualification (PhD preferred), ideally with several years’ experience in a biocontainment facility.
- A minimum of 3 years management experience in leading and developing teams fostering trust and new ideas in a collaborative research and science environment.
- Experience in biorisk management in a complex biocontainment facility with knowledge of biosafety and biocontainment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills at a senior level to deliver key messages to internal and external clients.
- Experience in policy writing and implementation in a complex facility delivering to a broad audience of facility users.
- Experience in microbiological sciences in infectious disease diagnosis is desirable.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and maintain a security clearance at the Negative Vetting 1 level.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia’s national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
This role will remain open until filled, we reserve the right to close the application process at any time.
- VIC - Geelong
- Attractive salary package negotiable inc. 15.4% super & relocation expenses
- Work Type:
- Full Time