Director, Commercial Engagement - Physical Sciences - [Archived Advertisement]
UniQuest Pty Limited (View other jobs from this organisation)
Director Commercial Engagement – Physical Sciences
Join an industry leader that converts early stage technologies into commercial outcomes
We have an opportunity as a Director, Commercial Engagement (DCE) in the commercialisation of the University of Queensland’s (UQ) intellectual property within the Physical Sciences domain.
UniQuest is the main commercialisation company of The University of Queensland (UQ), specialising in the commercialisation of intellectual property, research outcomes and expertise. UniQuest has a 30 year track record and was responsible for the commercialisation of the HPV vaccine Gardasil®, the Triple P Positive Parenting Program, the image correction technology found in two-thirds of the world's MRI machines, and Spinifex Pharmaceuticals, one of Australia's largest biotech acquisitions.
The University of Queensland is an international leader in research and teaching in a comprehensive range of disciplines, including health and biomedical sciences, engineering, ICT, materials and nanotechnology, agriculture and the environment, and social science.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Commercial Engagement (SDCE), Physical Sciences, this position will build commercial relationships and opportunities between industry and The University of Queensland (UQ) and will involve the creation, negotiation and delivery of opportunities for transactions based on UQ intellectual property (IP) including licences, start-up companies and other commercial arrangements.
The position will have a specific focus on the commercialisation of technologies and services related to physical sciences and engineering and will be expected to manage all aspects of commercialisation across the IP portfolio.
The position will be responsible for building and maintaining strong relationships with relevant contacts, industry organisations and the investment community. Working across the entire UniQuest commercialisation process, the position will seek and qualify intellectual property disclosures with commercial potential from UQ researchers and work closely with researchers to protect, market and commercially exploit UQ intellectual property.
Generating deal flow in the physical science and engineering disciplines for UniQuest will also be critical as will identifying and facilitating funding for commercialisation projects, including grants, investments and proof of concept funding, etc.
To be successful in your application, you will need to demonstrate knowledge and experience in the following areas:
Sector specific knowledge, experience and contacts
- Tertiary qualifications in a physical science or engineering discipline, preferably to post-graduate level.
- Broad international (preferable) and local industry contacts/networks.
- Sound understanding of industry funding and granting bodies and schemes.
- Knowledge of commercialisation pathways for physical science and engineering technologies including, as relevant, regulatory requirements.
- Experience in a company relevant to the physical sciences and engineering in a business development position preferable (preference for >3 years’ experience).
Technology commercialisation knowledge and experience
- Deal track record (licences and/or start-ups).
- Evaluating technologies from technology, commercial, IP and market perspective.
- Demonstrated understanding of intellectual property principles and expertise in the negotiation of contracts including licence agreements.
- Demonstrated experience in research commercialisation, identifying and protecting inventions, taking inventions to licence/market and facilitating research based collaborations.
- Experience of working with and commercialising IP from an academic environment preferable.
- Demonstrated strong and positive relationships with leading researchers in the publicly funded research institution sector.
- Sound understanding of university research management and university funding systems.
The ideal candidate will have experience in CRM systems, excellent communication skills including experience making public presentations and skills in coordinating complex research commercialisation processes to manage multiple projects and deadlines.
For a copy of the Position Description please visit our website or contact UniQuest at email@example.com.
Please send your application, addressing the needed qualifications and experience, along with a current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close COB Friday 22 September 2017
- Closing Date:
- 22 Sep 2017
- QLD - St Lucia
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Director/Senior Research Management