$106,988 + 9.5% Superannuation
City of Melbourne is committed to supporting diversity, inclusion and flexibility. Applicants seeking flexible and part-time arrangements are encouraged to apply.
For more information on what it is like working with us at City of Melbourne please go to working with us at City of Melbourne
City of Melbourne recognises the value of the diversity and strength of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures to the heritage of all Australians and encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply. You will be supported in your application via our Aboriginal Employment Team.
How this position will Make the Difference to City of Melbourne…
The Urban Technologies Specialist will support the City of Melbourne’s commitment to ‘build on insights and data to know Melbourne better’ by guiding the direction and championing the use of urban technology supporting the Smart City approach.
Reporting directly to the Research and Insights Team Leader, with a focus on the use of technology in the urban space, the role will see you steer the evolution of the use of Internet of Things (IoT), sensors and associated technology, developing data and insights, scoping and managing the delivery of a range of projects and managing the program of work associated with the existing pedestrian sensor network. The successful candidate joins the organisation at an exciting time in the use of urban technology and will be involved in direction setting projects including one which will help to inform decisions supporting the adoption of urban technology over the next 5 years.
You will work closely with teams across the organisation, build on existing partnerships and engage with key stakeholders to drive new collaborations for key projects and initiatives. This will require you to produce high quality communications including reports, presentations and data visualisation to support this activity.
Additionally, you will be required to be a good listener and able to grasp new concepts, manage consultants, synthesise data from various sources; analyse and develop responses to issues, situations and problems for multiple and wide ranging audiences.
To be successful in this role, you will bring an in depth knowledge of how technology informs a Smart City and its future success and expertise in analysis and data management. Proven experience with loT and innovation districts would be highly regarded.
You can bring… (Selection criteria)
- Ability to demonstrate and display City of Melbourne Values - accountability, integrity, respect for self and others, and striving for excellence.
- Strong communication skills including presentation and negotiation skills and the ability to communicate with a broad range of stakeholders
- Demonstrated understanding of key urban technology architecture components including connectivity, security, sensors and Internet of Things.
- Experience in managing contractors and consultants
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable within a changing environment and delivering high quality outcomes
- Appropriate tertiary qualification and/or experience such as social science, economics, mathematics, statistics, technology supported by a deep knowledge and proven expertise in at least 2 of the following areas: urban technologies, IoT, hardware development, GIS, computer engineering, data science, engineering, planning, urban design.
- Data analysis and interpretation experience including experience with the tooling and techniques used by the City Research and Insights team (eg Power BI, Tableau, R, ESRI)
- Experience with IoT or sensor technology in particular the capture, processing and publishing of data would be advantageous
To view the physical requirements of this position, please see below under Position Information.
How to apply…
Please visit the City of Melbourne careers website, as part of the online application form you are required to:
Please address your covering letter to Andrea Hughes, Research and Insights Team Leader.
The position description for this role will not be provided at this stage of application.
The Advertised Close Date and other important information can be found on www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/careers.
City of Melbourne is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety, diversity and inclusion.
If you have a disability and require advice and support during the recruitment process, we encourage you to apply or contact us on the details listed below.