Executive Manager, Business Research Engagement - [Archived Advertisement]
University of Technology Sydney (View other jobs from this organisation)
Executive Manager, Business Research Engagement
Our vision is to be a leading public university of technology recognised for our global impact. We are a dynamic and innovative university, ranked by the Times Higher Education as Australia’s top young university, and located centrally in one of the world’s most liveable cities. With a culturally diverse campus life and extensive international exchange and research programs, UTS prepares graduates for the workplaces of today and tomorrow.
About the Research Office
The Research Office is a central unit within the portfolio of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) and provides support for research activities across UTS in partnership with the faculty research offices and other support units, including identifying and accessing research funding, contracts, ethics, post-award, IP management and commercialisation and research data intelligence. In order to constantly improve the way we support our researchers, the Research Office is adopting a new operational team structure.
The Business Research Engagement team aims to develop and support new opportunities for UTS researchers to work in collaboration with industry, government and communities, and deliver impact through the translation of research outcomes into practical use.
About the role
As the Executive Manager, Business Research Engagement (EMBRE) you will play a critical role leading the Business Research Engagement team in support of the UTS Research Strategy to increase the scale, quality and impact of UTS research, through its proactive focus on partnering with industry and government on research projects, centres, infrastructure and translation.
You will contribute to the enablement of UTS researchers to identify, compete for and successfully execute high quality research with industry and government funders in particular. This role is part of the UTS Research Office executive leadership team and represents the research portfolio in high-level internal and external interactions.
Day to day you will:
- Develop and lead initiatives to maximise successful research funding proposals
- Connect researchers with funding opportunities and collaborations, including centres, major initiatives, large research consortia and multi-party ventures
- Drive internal performance and culture change that recognises, develops and rewards collaboration, talent and research excellence
- Manage the Business Research Engagement team to optimise coordination, coherence, team morale, and service delivery
- Work with the Research Office Executive Managers to support the UTS2027 strategy, the UTS Research Strategy and the Research Office plan
- Develop strategy and implementation plans for industry and government research income growth, particularly funding from HERDC Categories 2 - 4
- Conceive and develop bids consistent with the UTS Research Strategy and aspirations, E.G. ARC and NHMRC Centres of Excellence, CRCs, major programs such as MRFF, etc.
- Support engagements with researchers outside UTS towards major collaboration opportunities such as CSIRO, DST Group, ANSTO, MRIs and other universities
To be successful in securing the role you will:
- have a high level of integrity and professionalism, a strong team player. Willingness and capability to lead a team to deliver quality service within the context of continuous improvement and culture change
- have a highly developed business development skills including networking and negotiating commercial agreements
- be a highly competent communicator at senior levels, with highly developed liaison, negotiation and conflict resolution skills, including the ability to work collaboratively and persuasively across a diverse University community
- have an understanding of the current Australian Higher Education environment
- understanding of the imperative for universities to engage with end users of research and evidence have an this engagement
- have an understanding of best practice in research engagement strategy and implementation
- substantial external and/or research engagement experience in major organisations with demonstrable success. Including research translation and commercialisation experience
- extensive executive level management experience and high level experience in the design of funding proposals, commercial arrangements, contract negotiation, review and management.
Remuneration & Benefits
Base Salary Range: An attractive and competitive salary package will be negotiated with the appointee. Salary packaging is also available
This role attracts 17% superannuation (pension) in addition to the base salary.
UTS staff also benefit from a wide range of Employee Benefits include flexible work practices, child care centres, generous parental leave and salary packaging opportunities.
This position is full-time and appointment will be made on a fixed-term basis for three years.
How To Apply
For the full list of the selection criteria and role responsibilities please click the apply button and download the Position Description from the UTS website.
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document.
Only those applications submitted via the UTS online recruitment system will be acceptedPlease ensure that the file name for each document submitted includes IRC128416.
Specific enquiries or issues with your application may be directed to the UTS Recruitment Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or on +61 (0) 2 9514 1080.
Closing Date: April 8th at 11.59pm(AEST)
Applicants must have current and valid work rights in Australia
Please note: If you have a disability that requires adjustment to the recruitment process or an alternative application pathway please contact email@example.com for assistance
At UTS, the concepts of equity and social justice are key to our core and purpose – we are recognised widely as supporting inclusivity and valuing diversity through our Wingara Indigenous Employment Strategy, Social Impact Framework and UTS Access and Inclusion Plan.
Cited as a WGEA Employer of Choice since the inception of the award, we are now among the first Australian institutions to receive the Athena SWAN Bronze Accreditation for our commitment to action addressing gender equity in the STEMM disciplines.
We welcome applications from women, Indigenous Australians, people with disability, those who identify as LGBTIQ and applicants from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
- Closing Date:
- 08 Apr 2019
- NSW - Sydney
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Business Development Manager
Director/Senior Research Management