Senior Scientist / Electrical Engineer, National Measurement Institute - [Archived Advertisement]
Department of Industry, Innovation and Science (View other jobs from this organisation)
The National Measurement Institute (NMI), a division within the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science, is Australia's peak measurement body responsible for biological, chemical, legal, physical and trade measurement. NMI is internationally recognised as one of the world’s leading national metrology institutes. Our 330 staff deliver cutting edge measurement services and research from unique facilities across Australia.
NMI’s Low-Frequency Standards Group develops, maintains and disseminates to industry Australia’s primary standards of electrical and magnetic quantities such as voltage, current, power and magnetic field. We provide calibration services with the lowest attainable levels of uncertainty and are presently developing new capabilities to cover emerging areas such as power quality.
As the successful candidate, you will:
- provide high-level scientific and technical support for the operations of the Low Frequency Group, including contributing to research directions, project planning and resource management
- build and maintain a constructive relationship with clients and external stakeholders, providing advice on technical issues and developing measurement plans to suit requirements
- develop, maintain and enhance measurement standards and services for various areas of electrical metrology (e.g. ac-dc transfer, electrical power, impedance, quantum standards for alternating voltage), including associated test methods and software, with a focus on efficiency, accuracy, reliability and integrity
- develop, maintain and document validation processes for key calibration services and oversee their implementation, including training of other staff as required
- undertake calibration and other measurement work across a range of areas within electrical metrology, completing calibrations efficiently, accurately and to clients’ requirements.
The successful candidate will hold a tertiary qualification in electrical engineering or science, preferably at a Ph.D level.
This recruitment process is being used to fill a current ongoing Science & Technical Level 7 or 8position.
Please refer to the department's Careers pages for further information about this role.
- Closing Date:
- 10 Jan 2018
- NSW - Sydney
- $98,730 - $134,570
- Work Type:
- Full Time