Experimental Scientist / Metrologist - High Voltage, National Measurement Institute - [Archived Advertisement]
Department of Industry, Innovation and Science (View other jobs from this organisation)
Experimental Scientist / Metrologist - High Voltage, National Measurement Institute
The National Measurement Institute (NMI), a division within the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science, is Australia's peak measurement body responsible for biological, chemical, legal, physical and trade measurement. NMI is internationally recognised as one of the world’s leading national metrology institutes. Our 330 staff deliver cutting edge measurement services and research from unique facilities across Australia.
The NMI’s Power Systems Technology Group is responsible for standards and precision measurements of high DC, AC and impulse voltage, and high current. It delivers specialised calibration and other measurement services to a variety of clients, including commercial calibration laboratories and government organisations.
As the successful candidate, you will:
- contribute to research and development of new measurement techniques, services, systems and standards in the areas of high voltage and high current
- present research and development results in journals and at professional conferences
- become a recognised authority in Australia and internationally in one or more of the above areas of measurement
- contribute to the maintenance of NMI high-voltage and high-current measurement standards and participate in international comparisons of standards
- propose and implement improvements to the calibration facilities and services
- perform calibrations of clients’ and NMI instruments, including operating an elevated work platform at a height of up to 11 metres and driving a truck with a mobile high-voltage laboratory
- liaise with calibration clients and develop effective relationships.
- participate in the maintenance and improvement of the quality systems in the Power Systems Technology Group.
The successful candidate will have a Master’s or PhD degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or related area.
This recruitment process is being used to fill a current ongoing Science & Technical Level 6 position.
Please refer to the department's Careers pages for further information about this role.
- Closing Date:
- 23 Oct 2017
- NSW - Sydney
- $77,950 - $90,956
- Work Type:
- Full Time
- APS Classification:
- APS Level 6