How often do you look at the world with a new perspective? At the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute we do it every day. It's in our DNA, our culture, our attitude and our approach.
For over 20 years, through the power of discovery, we have been able to imagine the unimaginable, revolutionising the understanding of heart disease –still the leading cause of death and disability in our society.
From the legacy of legendary heart transplant surgeon Victor Chang, the Institute's team have rapidly pioneered research with a shared and life changing vision – to reduce the incidence, severity and impact of heart disease.
- To achieve excellence in research
- To demonstrate creativity in the pursuit of scientific discovery
- To act with honesty, integrity and fairness at all times
- To undertake research that has significant impact and makes a difference
- To promote a sense of teamwork and collegiality amongst staff and collaborators
At the Victor Chang Institute we strive to ensure our staff and students enjoy a great working environment. We value and are committed to providing a working environment that embraces diversity and gender equity and promotes flexible working arrangements for staff to balance working requirements and personal needs.
Come and work with us and help us make a difference.
Applications are invited for a Small Animal Surgeon (part-time or full-time) to work within a research setting studying cardiac stem cells and regeneration biology. Ideally you will have skills in complex surgical procedures using mice and rats as experimental models.
Your experience should include:
- induction of myocardial infarction,
- cardiac pressure overload via trans-aortic constriction,
- hindlimb ischemia model,
- minipump insertion.
We will also provide you with the opportunity to train in myocardial infarction surgery in neonatal mice.
We will expect you to be:
- familiar with the relevant codes of conduct in animal research,
- have experience with state-of-the-art rodent facilities and
- show rigorous adherence to ethical procedure.
Familiarity with cardiac functional analysis in small animals using transthoracic echocardiography, ECG, telemetry, micromanometry and sonomicrometry will be an advantage.
If you are looking to develop your career in research we can provide an opportunity for you to drive your own research projects