Senior Data Analyst - [Archived Advertisement]
Burnet Institute (View other jobs from this organisation)
Burnet Institute is a leading Australian medical research and public health organisation focused on achieving better health for vulnerable communities in Australia and internationally by accelerating the translation of research, discovery and evidence into sustainable health solutions. The Institute
is headquartered in Melbourne with programs that operate across Asia, the Pacific and in Africa.
Burnet’s culture links innovative discovery-oriented research and implementation research with development and humanitarian action. World-class laboratory and field-based research is integrated into multidisciplinary programs aimed at the prevention, detection and treatment of diseases of global significance. This unique approach allows the Institute to make a tangible and sustainable impact on health in both developed and developing countries.
The Institute has three major thematic programs – Disease Elimination, Behaviours and Health Risk, and Maternal and Child Health, and two expansion programs – Healthy Ageing and Health Security. Staff within these Programs are supported by cross-cutting communities of practice; the disciplines of Life Sciences, Public Health and International Development.
The Senior Data Analyst will lead the conduct of data analyses and writing of research papers, as well as support the quantitative design and evaluation of other studies and trials related to research and implementation towards the elimination of hepatitis C in Australia.
The Eliminate Hepatitis C program (EC), aims to increase HCV treatment uptake among key risk populations, including people who inject drugs (PWID) with the overall aim of achieving elimination of Hepatitis C from Australia by 2030. As part of this role, you will support the EC project team in planning, implementation and management of the data systems and evaluation activities to inform evidence based decision making for program scale up.
Participation in the wider activities of the Viral Hepatitis Elimination Research Program and the Disease Elimination Program more broadly is expected.
This position is for an initial 2 year contract period, with the possibility of extension.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Curate and process confidential data and information according to guidelines.
- Create, manipulate, and merge large and complex data sets.
- Develop, write, execute, test, debug, implement, modify and support new data analyses in support of research projects using traditional and advanced methods.
- Develop machine learning algorithms and smart applications that enable colleagues and partners to make better decisions and perform more efficiently in their tasks and allow for their swift integration into project implementation systems.
- Write full manuscripts related to analyses, their interpretation, implication and context for academic publication.
- Support study design, statistical power and sample size, and analyses for adaptive community studies.
- Develop and maintain project management plans in consultation with the study principal investigators and program coordinator.
- Ensure maintenance of high scientific and ethical standards across projects.
- Present project progress reports.
- Act as technical resource on data and analytics for research colleagues and programmatic staff.
- Work with computer scientists and research team to facilitate access to data and analyses for stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain good relationships with external stakeholders.
The successful applicant will have the following qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor Degree in science, medicine or related discipline
- Tertiary qualification in quantitative sciences (e.g. biostatistics, epidemiology, mathematics or a related area)
- Significant and relevant professional work experience post PhD in data analytics
- Experienced in statistical software packages (e.g. SAS, R, STATA, S-Plus, SPSS, Python) and knowledge of or demonstrated ability to learn specialized software packages
- Previous experience leading the development and writing of academic publications
- High-level research and data analysis skills
- High-level experience in methodologies and processes for managing small, large, and complex databases.
- Good knowledge of research methodologies and understanding of evidence based health care concepts
- Previous experience with undertaking research in development, implementation and evaluation of evidence-based materials and activities
Benefit from ongoing support, a monthly accrued day off (for full time staff) and attractive salary packaging working for this leading not-for-profit organisation. Remuneration will be commensurate with skills and experience.
Burnet Institute is committed to providing our people with a supportive working environment. We value diversity and gender equity at the institute and provide flexible working arrangements for our staff. Burnet is participating in the Science in Australia Gender Equity (SAGE) Pilot of the Athena SWAN Charter in Australia.
To apply for this position, click here and attach the following documents:
- Statement addressing the selection criteria (as outlined above and in the attached position description)
- Resume including the names and contact details of three referees
Applications close Sunday 12th August 2018 at 11:59pm AEST.
As part of our commitment to gender equity, we have included a question in the application process on gender. This will allow us to monitor and report on gender in relation to our recruitment process. This field is not compulsory.
Burnet is a child safe organisation. The successful applicant may be required to apply for a Working with Children check and/or criminal record check from the Australian Federal Police.
- Closing Date:
- 12 Aug 2018
- VIC - Melbourne
- $102,000-$115,000 per annum
- Work Type:
- Full Time