Laboratory Diagnostic Technician - Virology
Laboratory Diagnostic Technician - Virology
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the areas that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Use your strong coordinating and prioritising skills to plan and schedule laboratory work-flow
- Work closely with colleagues, managers and clients to ensure effective information transfer
- Help make a difference in the unique environment at the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness
As a Laboratory Diagnostic Technician at the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP), you will work in the Diagnostic Virology team within the Diagnosis, Surveillance and Response (DSR) program. The DSR Program provides diagnostic and research capability to investigate and respond to newly emerging diseases affecting livestock and other animals.
Using classical virology techniques, you will deliver outputs across a range of quality assured laboratory diagnostic services. Services include disease surveillance testing, and testing for sterility and for contamination of biological materials intended for veterinary use. The testing primarily involves cell culture-based assays for virus isolation or antigen detection. You will also undertake general laboratory housekeeping activities and provide assistance to other diagnostic teams within the program, as required.
The appointee must be able to meet ACDP’s microbiological security and security assessment requirements. Due to the role requiring work in the biologically secure laboratories at physical containment level 3 (and potentially level 4), the successful candidate must pass additional security, medical and psychological checks, and be appropriately vaccinated.
In this role you will:
- Work in a microbiologically secure laboratory with responsibilities and outputs, supporting and delivering quality assured diagnostic testing services.
- Provide general laboratory support for housekeeping and maintenance activities, and contribute to quality assurance requirements.
- Undertake and complete tasks under technical direction, working with discretion to decide on the timing of operations.
- Maintain an awareness of team diagnostic and innocuity testing priorities and have the flexibility to assist team workflow as required.
- Work collaboratively and contribute to the effective functioning of the Virology team and other diagnostic teams in the DSR Program.
Location: Geelong – Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP), VIC
Salary: AU$66k - AU$84k per annum, plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite - Full-time
To be considered you will need:
- A Bachelor of Science (Hons) degree or equivalent relevant work experience in Biological Sciences or a related discipline.
- Experience conducting and coordinating laboratory?based experiments or tests.
- The ability to address underlying issues of complex and ill-defined problems in a technically sound manner.
- Experience working both independently and co-operatively as a member of a larger project team, and the ability to form and maintain effective relationships.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
To see the full list of criteria for this role, please view the Position Details
- Applications are open to Australian Citizens only.
- The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent, and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply online and provide a CV and cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and your suitability for the role, paying particular attention to the requirements outlined in the Position Details.
Monday 15 August, 2022 (11pm AEST)
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.
- Closing Date:
- 15 Aug 2022
- VIC - Geelong
- AU$66k - AU$84k per annum, plus up to 15.4% super
- Work Type: