Software Engineer - Computer Vision - [Archived Advertisement]
Software Engineer - Computer Vision
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Join the Sustainable Mining Technologies team within CSIRO Mineral Resources
- Provide Software Engineering support
- Opportunity to create a dynamic career path in this exciting role
The CSIRO Mining Geoscience Team develops technologies for mining, manufacturing, space and other industries to improve safety and productivity. The team has a proven track record and is a leading provider of software and hardware to mining professionals such as geologists, geotechnical and blast engineers and surveyors. We pioneered the use of photogrammetric systems for rock mass characterisation and slope stability assessment, geophysical logging and microseismic monitoring for the Australian mining industry. We have also developed sensing technologies that are now being utilised or trialled in the medical, aeronautical and space industries. Our success has led to long term and ongoing commercial partnerships with leading technology providers. The work is underpinned by many years of experience with both 2D and 3D imaging systems, geophysical sensing and imaging technologies. We have successfully patented and commercialised innovative sensor and analytics systems.
The team is part of the Sustainable Mining Technologies Programme in CSIRO Mineral Resources. Based in Brisbane, the programme consists of over 60 researchers and engineers specialising in the automation, processing, numerical modelling, sensing and other domains for applications in the mining industry and beyond.
An opportunity exists for an enthusiastic and talented Software Engineer to design and build the next generation of fused sensor systems for mining and aerospace industries. You will design and implement software to support sensor fusion for 3D scanning in space and safety monitoring in mining and civil engineering environments.
We love code examples. If you have anything that we can look at, such as open source (e.g. on Github or BitBucket), we would appreciate if you mentioned it in your application.
Applications are invited across two capability levels and the successful candidate will be appointed at the level commensurate with their skills and experience. More detail around the difference between the two levels will be discussed at interview stage.
Your duties will include:
- Design and implement computer vision-based algorithms for mining, manufacturing, space and other applications.
- Comply with company's SDLC, project plans and industry standards.
- Deliver production level code with supporting unit tests.
- Contribute to collecting data in the lab or field, annotating and cleaning data.
- Deploying developed technologies, and in demonstrating these technologies in the field.
- Experimenting with new technologies and communicating the results.
- Respond courteously and efficiently to client requests, maintaining clear communication regarding mutual expectations and monitoring client satisfaction.
- Under technical direction, select the appropriate methods to perform standard analyses and be able to undertake technical tasks associated with trials, tests, measurement, reviews and investigations including associated calculations and analysis.
- Oversee the activities of less experienced staff and provide on-the-job training, as required.
- Design equipment and adapt techniques to meet special circumstances and client needs or undertake modifications to methods or equipment requiring limited innovation.
- Other duties as directed
Location: Pullenvale, QLD
Salary: AU$87k to AU$111k pa + up to 15.4% super
Tenure: 3 year specified term
To be considered you will need:
- Bachelor or higher degree in a scientific, mathematics or engineering discipline with significant component of formal training in software engineering, or equivalent commercial experience in software engineering.
- Demonstrated expertise in designing, developing and implementing software supporting computer vision or other 3D sensing methods
- Deep knowledge of SOLID principles and design patterns
- Strong understanding of computing and mathematical concepts
- High proficiency in software design using C++ in a cross-platform environment (min 2+ years programming experience)
- Ability to communicate in a fluent and courteous manner, both orally and in writing, offering factual information supported by proven data, and providing appropriate feedback when required.
- A history of professional and respectful behaviours and attitudes in a collaborative environment. Ability to work both autonomously and under guidance from researchers and working to deadlines
- The ability to effectively manage a number of competing priorities simultaneously, and carry out non-routine tasks under general direction.
- Proven ability to investigate routine problems by identifying and considering the implications of a range of available alternative solutions.
- Experience with OpenCV and Point Cloud Library (PCL)
- Experience with CUDA or OpenCL programming
- Experience in developing in C#
- Frontend Development (eg. Angular)
- Matlab and Matlab Image Processing and Computer Vision Toolboxes
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian Citizens, New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents only.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
14 August 2022, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 14 Aug 2022
- QLD - Pullenvale
- AU$87k to AU$111k pa + up to 15.4% super
- Work Type: