CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Computational Design for Industrial Components - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Computational Design for Industrial Components
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Do you have a PhD in evolutionary computing, computational design, physics-based modelling, machine learning for design, or structural optimisation?
- Keen to work with a diverse group of scientists working on cutting-edge and exciting research?
- Join our Data61 team and help drive the development and adoption of Artificial Intelligence in Australia
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
This role primarily focuses on developing new computational design algorithms for the generation of high-performance, bespoke industrial components. The CERC Fellow will create powerful design software that allows for principled exploration and optimisation in challenging design spaces. Their designs will be 3D printed and used across a range of high-priority industries, resulting in industrial components with brand new performance profiles and capabilities.
The CERC Fellow will create new, highly functional designs, including structure, shape, and material composition, and contribute to the growth of this exciting research area. The role will directly support CSIRO’s Future Digital Manufacturing Fund in the development of new capability in AI-infused manufacturing.
Your duties will include:
- Generating design software to produce a range of components across high-impact domains such as soft robotics, flow chemistry, and direct air capture.
- Creating innovative computational design pipelines for new components, combining state of the art techniques across e.g., evolutionary design, generative design, and machine learning.
- Producing a range of 3D printed components for application in industry.
- Carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Publishing your research in top-ranking venues.
- Presenting work to a wide variety of audiences and actively engaging in outreach activities.
- Working effectively as an integral member of a multidisciplinary research team, to undertake independent scientific investigations and carry out associated tasks under broad guidance from more senior Research Scientists/Engineers.
Location: Pullenvale, Brisbane, Queensland
Salary: AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as evolutionary computing, computational design, physics-based modelling, machine learning for design, structural optimisation. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Demonstrated experience in a relevant field of research.
- A strong publication history relative to your career progression.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian Citizens, New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents and Australian temporary residents currently residing in Australia.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
31 July 2022, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 31 Jul 2022
- AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence