Science Leader - Crop Breeding Innovation - [Archived Advertisement]
Science Leader - Crop Breeding Innovation
- Grow your own team and research program to deliver impact in Crop Breeding Innovation
- Advance the development, adaptation and deployment of new data-driven crop breeding approaches
- Join CSIRO and translate science to industry impact as part of a global research business
At CSIRO, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology by harnessing the incredible intellectual power and expertise of our people, collaborators and partners. CSIRO’s Science Leader program attracts the best researchers from across the globe to deliver outstanding translational science and engineering impact and captures new capability into areas which have been identified as strategic, to assist our business units to manage and develop their capability for the future.
The Science Leader will play an active role within and across business units and contribute to business goals through both scientific excellence and the translation of research outcomes into impact. They will have generous operating funds, and support for two three-year Postdoctoral Fellowships and two three-year Postgraduate Students top-up scholarships.
The Science Leader Crop Breeding Innovation will be responsible for advancing the development, adaptation and deployment of new data-driven crop breeding approaches through the optimisation and efficient integration of information and computer science with domain science expertise. They will leverage our efforts in digital agriculture and cutting-edge data-science to make strong contributions to the strategic directions and industry impacts of bioprediction for crop breeding.
Your duties will include:
- Lead the development and delivery of cutting-edge scientific research, demonstrating a considerable degree of originality, creativity and innovation to advance crop breeding.
- Develop and integrate new and existing digital technologies and novel computational approaches to create computationally efficient platforms for improved bioprediction.
- Build knowledge and develop novel analytical approaches and tools for crop breeding.
- Within broad guidelines, use professional expertise, knowledge of other disciplines and research experience/achievements to formulate, develop and complete an approved research program.
- Communicate research results to clients and the scientific community through oral and written reports, and patent applications.
- Provide advice to policy makers and inform and transfer knowledge to non-scientific audiences; act as a trusted advisor to government, clients and the community.
- Lead and supervise staff to ensure that experiments are established in accordance with the research design and are completed within the agreed timeframes and budget.
Location: Canberra or Brisbane preferred (other locations may be considered)
Salary: Attractive salary package offered
Tenure: Indefinite, with the initial program of work being 5 years
To be considered you will need:
- Relevant postgraduate qualifications and established knowledge and expertise in the area of Crop Breeding;
- Be recognised by their peers as making a significant contribution in their field of science or engineering;
- Have a track record of translating scientific outcomes into impact;
- Demonstrate the ability to collaborate at the intersection of disciplines;
- Bring an extensive network which you can actively share across the whole organisation, engaging and satisfying multiple stakeholders; and
- Have the ability to mentor a team of talented postdoctoral fellows and postgraduate students and attract distinguished visiting researchers.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian and International candidates.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
9 August 2022, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 09 Aug 2022
QLD - Geelong
ACT - Geelong
- Attractive salary package offered
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Director/Senior Research Management