Team Leader - Bacteriology - [Archived Advertisement]
Team Leader - Bacteriology
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the areas that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Lead people and projects to pursue new ideas and concepts
- Contribute to innovative research within the Diagnostics, Surveillance and Response program
- Work in the unique environment of the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness and make a real difference!
The Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP) is offering an opportunity for a suitably experienced scientist to lead the Bacteriology team within the Diagnostics and Avian Infectious Disease Research (DAIDR) group. This group comprises multidisciplinary laboratory-based teams that provide diagnostic and research capability for the investigation of and response to high impact and newly emerging diseases affecting livestock and other animals, including zoonotic agents.
Adapting to the changing needs of the DAIDR group, you will provide technical management for NATA accredited tests in Molecular Bacteriology, and provide people and project management for specific R&D and diagnostic testing activities. Working in a microbiologically secure (PC-3) laboratory, you will have line management responsibility for diagnostic scientists, as well as various outputs relating to the provision of quality assured laboratory diagnostic services and associated projects. In particular, you will focus on laboratory testing for exotic and infectious bacterial animal diseases of veterinary significance, disease surveillance serology, microbiology and testing of other biological samples.
The appointee must be able to meet ACDP’s Microbiological Security and Security Clearance requirements.
In this role you will:
- Provide leadership, direction and communications to team members necessary to ensure accurate and informed diagnostic reporting, line management and effective Team operations.
- Ensure transition of new diagnostic tests from research to routine use.
- Develop and maintain a network of relevant professional contacts.
- Collaborate with other ACDP scientists to publish results of investigations and service activities.
- Contribute to the maintenance of laboratory practices and standards to meet the QA/QC requirements for testing and reporting outputs under NATA/ISO17025 and BSI/ISO9001 accreditation standards.
- Provide expertise and meet responsibilities of quality systems Technical Manager for Molecular Bacteriology
- Maintain current knowledge on bacterial diseases of major concern to Australian.
- Effectively communicate scientific and diagnostics results both internally and externally via reports, meetings and conference presentations.
Location: Geelong – Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP), VIC
Salary: AU$117k to AU$138k per annum, plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite, Full-time
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a relevant field such as bacteriology, molecular biology, biotechnology or similar.
- Expertise in a wide range of classical and modern technologies applicable to diagnostics of bacterial infectious diseases.
- Strong managerial leadership skills.
- The ability and willingness to contribute ideas and new approaches to meet diagnostic needs.
- Knowledge of the critical elements of a laboratory Quality Assurance system.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
To see the full list of criteria for this role, please view the Position Details
- Applications are open to Australian Citizens only
- The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent, and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply online and provide a CV and cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and your suitability for the role, paying particular attention to the requirements outlined in the Position Details.
Sunday 31 July, 2022 (11pm AEST)
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.
- Closing Date:
- 31 Jul 2022
- VIC - Geelong
- AU$117k to AU$138k per annum, plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time