Seed Germination Technician - Australian Tree Seed Centre (Part-time) - [Archived Advertisement]
Seed Germination Technician - Australian Tree Seed Centre (Part-time)
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the areas that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Ideal role for a self-starter in a small but vital biological collections laboratory
- Provide key support in conserving the biodiversity of Australian native tree species
- Join our team at the Australian Tree Seed Centre and really make a difference!
The Australian Tree Seed Centre (ATSC) collects, conserves and explores Australia's native tree and shrub flora. The collection enables seedlots to be accessible to researchers and commercial clients throughout the world.
As a Germination Technician with the ATSC, you will oversee all seed viability testing activities, and maintain and update seed germination standards for all species and seedlots held in the ATSC store.
In this role you will:
- Carry out and plan viability testing and retesting programs for all ATSC seedlots.
- Actively contribute to a safe laboratory work environment.
- Oversee the seed germination program and provide instruction on general activities pertaining to the immediate work area.
- Maintain and review species germination standards and pre-treatment requirements.
- Develop new viability and pre-treatment requirements for new species, as required.
- Use discretion to decide on the most appropriate methods to perform seed germination activities.
- Undertake technical tasks associated with trials, tests, measurements, reviews and investigations, including associated calculations and analysis.
- Take responsibility for seed germination laboratory equipment and materials.
Location: Canberra, ACT – Australian Tree Seed Centre, Black Mountain
Salary: AU$66k - AU$84k pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite – Part-time (32 hours per fortnight)
To be considered you will need:
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant science discipline such as seed biology, forestry, agriculture or horticulture, or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with biological collections management, seed science, forestry or botany.
- The ability to carry out precise laboratory activities and document results.
- Experience in laboratory management in a team environment.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a small research team and carry out tasks autonomously.
To see the full list of criteria for this role, please view the Position Details
- Applications are open to Australian and New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents.
- The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent, and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply online and provide a CV and cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and your suitability for the role, paying particular attention to the requirements outlined in the Position Details.
Wednesday 13 July, 2022 (11pm AEST)
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.
- Closing Date:
- 13 Jul 2022
- ACT - Black Mountain
- AU$66k - AU$84k pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Part Time