Soil Scientist and Environmental Sensing Specialist - [Archived Advertisement]
Soil Scientist and Environmental Sensing Specialist
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Do you have experience in Groundwater Contamination and Remediation?
- Join the Industry Environments Program within the Land and Water Business Unit
- Innovative and collaborative workplace with fantastic flexibility
Through an integrated systems research approach CSIRO Land & Water provides the information and technologies required by government, industry and the Australian and international communities to protect, restore, and manage natural and built environments.
The role of Research Scientist Staff in CSIRO is to conduct innovative research leading to scientific achievements that are aligned with CSIRO’s strategies. You may be engaged in scientific activity ranging from fundamental research to the investigation of specific industry or community problems.
This position of Soil Scientist and Environmental Sensing Specialist sits in the Industry Environments Program within the Land and Water Business Unit and will be based in Perth, WA. It is part of the Groundwater Contamination and Remediation Team, and the role will underpin science efforts through field and laboratory investigations to quantify and mitigate threats of chemicals of concern in soil and groundwater environments.
Your duties will include:
- Supporting and conducting innovative research in soil and hydrogeological environments to gain an in-depth understanding of subsurface physical and geochemical processes.
- Applying process understanding to identify key factors contributing to contaminant movement and interaction.
- Expanding soil physics and chemistry capability to meet the increasing demand to solve such issues as contaminant and heat transport and in changing climates.
- Undertaking field and laboratory work involving the collection and analysis of soil and groundwater samples including the installation of sensors and data monitoring networks.
- Establishing maintaining and interpreting the results from sampling campaigns, sensors and monitoring networks.
- Communicating openly, effectively and respectfully with all staff, clients and suppliers in the interests of good business practice, collaboration and enhancement of CSIRO’s reputation.
- Other duties as directed.
Location: Floreat, Perth, WA
Salary: AU$102,724 - AU$111,165 per annum + up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite or Specified term of 4 years
To be considered you will need:
Under CSIRO policy only those who meet all essential criteria can be appointed.
- A postgraduate degree and / or other relevant experience in the earth sciences discipline such as soil science, geology, hydrogeology, environmental science, or other relevant geo-science domains.
- Demonstrated experience in soil and geochemical characterisation and assessment
- Strong written and oral communication skills coupled with the ability to present results of scientific investigations at findings at stakeholder meetings and conferences.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary research group and carry out independent individual research to achieve organisational goals.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake original, creative and innovative research by generating and pursuing novel ideas and solutions to address scientific research problems.
- A driver’s licence.
- Experience in field investigations and laboratory practice and methodology for investigation of soils and contaminants
- Ability to handle and manipulate large amounts of temporal and spatial data
For full details about this role please view the Position Description here.
Applications for this position are open to all candidates.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Thursday 28th July 2022 at 11PM AEST
- Closing Date:
- 28 Jul 2022
- WA - Floreat
- AU$102,724 - AU$111,165 per annum + up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
Environmental Science/Earth Science