Assistant Curator, Australian National Herbarium - [Archived Advertisement]
Assistant Curator, Australian National Herbarium
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the areas that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Learn, trust, and collaborate to achieve more.
- Supportive, rewarding, inclusive, and truly flexible environment.
- Join CSIRO - Australia's National Science and Innovation Agency!
The Australian National Herbarium (ANH) is a nationally focused research collection of over 1 million plant specimens and is part of CSIRO’s National Research Collections along with the Australian National Algal Culture Collection, Australian National Insect Collection, Australian Tree Seed Centre, and the Australian Wildlife Collection. The ANH primarily documents the flora of Australia but is also rich in specimens from New Guinea, eastern Malesia, and the South Pacific. As Assistant Curator, you will work closely with the Head Curator and the Collections and Curation team in the development and maintenance of the physical and digital research collections of the ANH.
Your duties will include:
- Oversight of digital activity within the ANH collections team, including database content and specimen imaging. Liaise with the ANH Curator, NRCA Digital team, and Australian National Botanic Gardens Biodiversity Informatics team to develop and maintain digital programs within the ANH.
- Oversight of physical collection management activities within the ANH. Work closely with the ANH Curator and Collections and Curation team to ensure appropriate physical maintenance and development of the ANH collection, acquisition and management of archival consumables and supplies, and overseeing destructive sampling, pest management, climate control, disaster planning.
- Work with ANH Curator to develop and implement appropriate collections management policies. Manage curation lists and collate statistical information for collections development and reporting.
- Curation of ANH herbarium specimen collections, including the application of taxonomic revisions, physical curation and maintenance, and other curatorial duties as directed.
- Maintain and edit taxonomic, nomenclatural, herbarium specimens, and other databases relating to herbarium management, curation, and data delivery.
- Participate in collections-related fieldwork as required.
Location: Black Mountain, ACT
Salary: AU$66163 - AU$81956 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- Demonstrated skills and experience in botanical specimen and digital information management and the curation of herbarium collections, including familiarity and experience in the management and capture of digital images of herbarium specimens.
- Demonstrated competence with biological databases and the entry, storage, retrieval and management of diverse biological information.
- Demonstrated ability to formulate, develop and implement workplace policies and procedures, particularly with regard to the management of biological collections.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, and work as a member of a team, to interact and communicate effectively with staff and clients at all levels, and to establish collaborative work arrangements with colleagues and other teams.
- Demonstrated ability to use initiative and ability to adopt flexible working arrangements and to plan and implement changes to work procedures.
- Relevant trade certificate/diploma/bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant work experience in biological collections management.
- Current driver’s licence.
- Skills and experience in vascular plant identification, and a keen interest in the Australian flora.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian Citizens, New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents only.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
17th July 2022, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 17 Jul 2022
- ACT - Black Mountain
- AU$66163 - AU$81956 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: