Legal Counsel - [Archived Advertisement]
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Are you an IP aficionado looking to make an impact?
- Indefinite opportunity within CSIRO - 15.4% superannuation!
- Flexibility around location and working arrangements
CSIRO are eager to engage with a qualified law professional for an indefinite opportunity within our Enterprise Legal Team. This role provides high-quality, practical specialist IP legal advice and support to the organisation, and reports to the Corporate Patent Counsel. The successful applicant can work from any location where CSIRO has a site, and flexible working arrangements are in place within this team.
The Enterprise Legal Team is part of the Governance function within CSIRO’s Operations Group and is responsible for providing strategic legal advice and practical legal support to CSIRO’s Board, Executive, Business Units and Enterprise Support Services. The Enterprise Legal Team provides legal advice and support in relation to corporate governance, compliance, administrative law, specialist intellectual property (IP), privacy, freedom of information, property, procurement, ITC, work health and safety, workers’ compensation, employment, industrial relations, litigation and research ethics.
Your duties will include:
- Provide high-quality, practical specialist IP legal advice and support, tailored to meet the requirements and circumstances of internal clients and taking into account CSIRO’s strategic objectives and compliance obligations. This role will support a range of internal client groups including CSIRO Publishing and CSIRO Brand & Marketing.
- Develop an understanding of the business, strategic objectives, external regulators, stakeholders, political context and relevant industry partners of CSIRO generally.
- Demonstrate legal leadership through, amongst other things, the provision of pragmatic advice and support and active participation in relevant internal education, compliance programs and working groups.
- Exercise initiative and influence to build relationships with key internal clients and client groups (such as the Director Governance, Chief Operations Officer, General Counsel, Business Development & Global, Corporate Affairs, CSIRO Publishing, Legal, Commercial Contracts, Science Impact & Policy and Office of Chief Scientist) and position the Enterprise Legal Team as a “trusted advisor” in CSIRO.
- Contribute to the on-going legal education and training of internal clients and CSIRO staff, in particular through the development and delivery of training in specialist IP areas.
- Communicate openly, effectively and respectfully with all staff, clients and suppliers in the interests of good business practice, collaboration and enhancement of CSIRO’s reputation.
- Work as an autonomous member of a geographically-dispersed team, taking appropriate personal responsibility for effective individual and team performance.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues within Legal, relevant Business Units and Enterprise Support Services, and across CSIRO more broadly, in order to advance organisational objectives and the goals of the Enterprise Legal Team.
- Generate improved solutions to complex problems and resolve complaints efficiently and effectively using creativity, reasoning and experience.
- Adhere to the spirit and practice of CSIRO’s Values, Code of Conduct, Health, Safety and Environment procedures and policy, Diversity initiatives and Zero Harm goals.
Location: All AU CSIRO sites will be considered
Salary: AU$117k - AU$138k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
The selection criteria for the role includes, but is not limited to, the following (please refer to the Position Description for the full list of requirements):
- A degree in law from an Australian tertiary institution, or a comparable overseas qualification which is appropriate to the classification and duties of the Legal Counsel role.
- A current Australian practising certificate or entitlement to hold an Australian practising certificate.
- A minimum of approximately four (4) years of post-admission experience, in private, in-house and/or government legal practice, in the area of contentious and non-contentious IP.
- Demonstrated strong and extensive technical knowledge and applied post-admission experience in contentious and non-contentious IP matters, including:
- trade marks and branding
- copyright and moral rights
- trade mark and copyright licensing; and
- confidential information
- Excellent legal drafting skills and significant experience of drafting and reviewing commercial agreements, including licensing agreements, publishing agreements and research agreements.
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment, with the ability to work independently under minimal supervision.
- A history of professional and respectful behaviours and attitudes in a collaborative and constructive environment.
For full details about this role, please review the Position Description.
Applications for this position are open to Australian Citizens, New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents only.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
12 July 2022, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT.
- Closing Date:
- 12 Jul 2022
- AU$117k - AU$138k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time