CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Natural Language Processing and Knowledge Extraction - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Natural Language Processing and Knowledge Extraction
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Do you have a PhD in Natural Language Processing (Information Extraction), Information Retrieval, Social Media Text Analytics, Machine Learning, or Artificial Intelligence?
- Want to conduct world class research and development with a team of dedicated professionals?
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
The Language and Social Computing (LASC) team is looking for a CERC Postdoctoral Fellow to join their team of natural language processing (NLP) researchers and engineers. As part of this role, you will be developing state-of-the-art AI technology based on the latest of NLP techniques to help the team in different projects. Relevant NLP research areas include: information extraction, text summarisation, question answering, semantic parsing, semantic role labelling, paraphrase detection and generation, and NLP for Information Retrieval.
The position will focus on the delivery of solutions within an inter-disciplinary project (for example, working with researchers in agriculture, sustainability, ecology, etc.). These projects are aligned with the team’s strategic research in developing a knowledge discovery and text analytics platform.
Your duties will include:
- Solving of research challenges associated with understanding and extracting information from technical documents (scientific literature, industry reports, corporate/government reports).
- Developing and deploying of real-world applications based on research outcomes.
- Applying Artificial Intelligence (AI) and NLP methodologies (including natural language processing, information retrieval, and machine learning) to support inter-disciplinary research.
- Representing CSIRO externally, including in public forums such as academic conferences, industry or the research sector or with Government.
- Collaborating with stakeholders and academic partners.
Location: Sydney, NSW
Salary: AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as Computer Science (Natural Language Processing/Computational Linguistics or Machine Learning with text data). Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Experience using deep learning and other machine learning techniques in NLP.
- High-level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including the presentation of research outcomes at national and international conferences.
- A sound history of publication in peer reviewed journals and/or authorship of scientific papers, or reports.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
7 July 2022, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 07 Jul 2022
- NSW - Sydney
- AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence