Senior Software Engineer - Telescope Control Systems - [Archived Advertisement]
Senior Software Engineer - Telescope Control Systems
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
Space & Astronomy (S&A) maintains existing telescopes Parkes and Australian Telescope Compact Array (ATCA) and is also completing instrumentation of the Australian SKA Pathfinder (ASKAP) telescope at the Murchison Radio-astronomy Observatory (MRO) in mid-west WA.
S&A requires a Control Systems Software Engineer to help develop and maintain Monitoring and Control System software for its radio telescopes. The focus of this role would be at Parkes and ATCA.
Your duties will include:
- Design, develop and adapt systems and software, requiring high levels of initiative, ingenuity and skills.
- Lead teams and/or collaborate with staff from other teams in meeting their objectives as required.
- Development, testing and support of monitoring and control interfaces implemented in EPICS.
- Collaboration with engineers on specifying and maintaining interfaces.
- Active support of monitoring and control software.
- Liaise with clients to determine their needs and take personal responsibility for client satisfaction.
- Participate in project scoping and planning, making significant contributions to the research or technological direction, and may advise on the level and type of services that are provided.
Location: Parkes, New South Wales or Narrabri, New South Wales
Salary: AU$102k - AU$111k per annum (pro-rata for part-time) plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- Relevant Bachelors/Masters degree or equivalent experience in Engineering, Computer Science or related disciplines.
- Experience developing control and monitoring software for hardware devices.
- Experience with embedded systems.
- Applied knowledge of software development processes including source control management and issue tracking.
- Strong applied knowledge of software development in C++.
- Working knowledge of Python.
- Adept Linux user (e.g. Debian or Debian based systems)
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, and carry out tasks autonomously in support of scientific research.
- Demonstrated ability & willingness to contribute novel ideas and approaches in support of scientific investigations.
- Experience implementing control system solutions using EPICS and/or TANGO.
- Experience with communication protocols such as SNMP or Modbus
- Experience developing in Java
- Experience developing in Python
- Previous work in Agile environments (e.g. SCRUM, KANBAN)
- Version control systems (e.g. Git, Subversion)
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian Citizens, New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents only.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
26 June 2022, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 26 Jun 2022
- AU$102k - AU$111k per annum (pro-rata for part-time) plus up to 15.4% super
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time