Veterinarian/ Veterinary Scientist
Veterinarian/ Veterinary Scientist
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Work in a world-class research and development precinct
- Use your love for animal welfare and research in your daily work
- Help make a difference in the unique environment at Australia’s National Science Agency
As a registered Veterinarian/ Veterinary Scientist at CSIRO’s Health and Biosecurity, you’ll be participating in the investigation of the biological control of rabbits and develop new approaches for innovations in the biological control of vertebrate pest management (including genetic biocontrol) and as a Team Leader, be responsible for the small animal facilities at CSIRO, including a domestic rabbit breeding colony, and lead a small team of animal carers and research projects officers.
What is so exciting about this job! If you have a passion for research, animal welfare and looking for a flexible and balanced work-life and would like to combine building a career in the management of a variety of small animals as well as animal-based research, then this is the perfect role for you.
Your duties will include:
- Provide animal husbandry, animal health monitoring and animal welfare procedure including monitoring, treatment and collecting biological samples as required for research purposes.
- Provide clinical care and best practice breeding and colony management advice.
- Promote animal welfare principles and compliance with Animal Ethics Committee protocols and policies.
- Lead and develop a small team of animal carers and postdoc research project officers.
- Collaborate with CSIRO scientists in developing and implementing new project ideas in both classical and genetic biocontrol
- Develop and maintain relevant quality standards as per the site requirement.
- Support Research Group Leaders build long-term science capability to support research involving animals.
Salary*: AU$102k - AU$138k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
*This position is offered across two levels – CSOF5 & CSOF6 (more details on the position description)
Tenure: Indefinite full-time
To be considered you will need:
- A veterinary degree registrable with the relevant Veterinary Practitioners Registration Board.
- Demonstrated track record in Research delivery with experience in preparing and presenting oral and written reports on research findings.
- Demonstrated experience with writing animal ethics and human research ethics proposals and familiarity with relevant codes of practice.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting animal research in Physical Containment (PC2) facilities
- Proven ability to work productively and harmoniously in a team, with a good understanding of the basis of a successful team, and the ability to work independently as required.
- Proven commitment to safeguarding and improving the welfare of animals, including knowledge of the Australian Code of Practice for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description.
Applications for this position are open to Australian Citizens, New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents and temporary residents currently residing in Australia (sponsorship may be provided to eligible candidates).
Appointment to this role is subject to the provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
We’ll be reviewing each application as they are received. If you think you have the right capabilities required to be a part of this team, we'd love to hear how your capabilities, achievements and experience sets you apart.
12 June 2022, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 12 Jun 2022
- ACT - Canberra
- AU$102k - AU$138k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time