Research Engineer in Renewable Fuels in Reciprocating Engines - [Archived Advertisement]
Research Engineer in Renewable Fuels in Reciprocating Engines
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our?vision towards reconciliation.
- Research more efficient use of alternative feedstocks such as renewable ammonia & bioenergy
- Use your MathCad expertise to establish & update engine control systems
- Join CSIRO Energy and make a difference!
The CSIRO Energy Business Unit’s research portfolio is structured around three Research Programs, combining multi-disciplinary energy knowledge, skills and research capability, and closely collaborating with other CSIRO Business Units. We deliver impact in the following areas – Energy Systems, Energy Technologies and Energy Resources.
CSIRO Energy seeking a motivated Research Engineer in Renewable Fuels in Reciprocating Engines to join the Low Emissions Power and Transport Technologies team.
As the successful candidate, you will undertake research leading to the more efficient use of alternative feedstocks (ammonia and bioenergy) by alternative fuel processing plant and engine fuelling combinations. The work you undertake will include fuel processing, fundamental combustion research using a large high pressure spray combustion chamber and operation/monitoring of test engines from kW-MW scale with field work on land-mounted generators, locomotive and ship engines.
Using your expertise in National Instruments MathCad and fuels combustion mechanisms in engines and fuel systems knowledge, you will establish and update engine control systems, monitor engine emissions in the laboratory and field and assess environmental and health impacts.
Your duties will include:
- Undertaking fundamental combustion research using a large high pressure spray combustion chamber.
- Establishing/updating engine control systems using National Instruments MathCad.
- Detailed emissions monitoring from engines (laboratory and field) and assessing environmental and health impacts.
- Operating both laboratory engines and demonstration engines in the field (e.g., locomotive) to test new injection equipment, fuelling strategies, and emissions for ammonia and MRC fuels.
- Designing equipment (lab and full scale) using Autodesk Inventor.
- Assisting in the establishment of National Demonstration programs in zero emissions electricity generation or transportation.
Location: Newcastle, NSW
Salary: AU$102k - AU$111k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a relevant field such as Chemical or Mechanical Engineering.
- Proven experience in fuels combustion mechanisms in engines and fuel systems.
- Practical knowledge of establishing / updating engine control systems.
- Expert level experience of National Instruments Mathcad.
- A history of working effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed project team, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research.
- A history of undertaking original, creative and innovative research by generating and pursuing novel ideas and solutions to scientific research problems.
- Excellent communication skills coupled with a publication history of authorship on scientific papers in peer reviewed journals or reports, grant applications or inventorship on patent applications.
- A current driver’s licence and to be willing and able to undertake travel and fieldwork as required.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to all candidates. Visa sponsorship will be provided if required.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Sunday 12th June 2022, 11:00 pm AEDT.
- Closing Date:
- 12 Jun 2022
- NSW - Newcastle
- AU$102k - AU$111k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time