Strategy Manager - [Archived Advertisement]
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Deliver transformational change to teams across CSIRO
- Provide advice to leaders on strategic priorities
- Utilise your experience with providing high-level strategic analysis to truly make an impact!
We are constantly challenging ourselves at CSIRO to extend our distinct ability to deliver impact through at-scale, long term and multidisciplinary research focused on the biggest challenges facing the country. As part of this, we are evolving our approach to portfolio management, including clarifying our impact priorities under the six challenges and how we collaborate across the organisation and with partners to deliver on them. The Strategy Manager position will be a pivotal part of CSIRO’s Strategy team in advancing our Challenges program and in particular defining and operationalising a portfolio management approach for our impact priorities.
The role will require a passionate boundary spanner with the capacity to develop and support cross-functional teams (and external networks) to explore, design, and operationalise impact strategies. The role will also require a strong project management capability with ability to manage large, high-profile projects with multiple workstreams in a complex internal and external stakeholder environment. Through collaboration across boundaries, frameworks and analytical support, the Strategy Manager will be responsible for delivering transformational change to teams across the business who are looking to solve wicked challenges.
Are you up to the challenge? This is a 12-month opportunity with flexibility around location for the right person.
Your duties will include:
- Leading strategic programs by developing work plans, ensuring effective team performance, developing team members, and influencing internal and external stakeholders to achieve function goals
- Developing evidence-based impact strategies in collaboration with the Business Units through exceptional project management, including:
- Managing complex strategy projects from initiation to completion by developing detailed project plans, implementing along strict timelines, sourcing input from diverse contributors, integrating feedback from senior stakeholders, and achieving executive endorsement
- Gathering, analysing and synthesising internal and external data to determine market trends and organisational capability and needs
- Facilitating workshop and consultations with research scientists across the organisation to identify market opportunities, challenges, and priorities and co-design solutions
- Actively supporting senior organisational leaders to develop strategic plans that align with organisational goals, policies and procedures
- Developing implementation plans for strategies that ensure they are effectively embedded in organisation policy and practices
- Co-designing modifications to our strategic planning process to maintain alignment with portfolio management
- Acting as a trusted advisor, having sound understanding of market needs and directions, Business Unit goals and activities, providing strategic advice to the management team, and establishing and maintaining networks beneficial to the achievement of Business Units’ goals
- Developing high quality presentations and reports, including Executive Team and Board papers, submissions and other written or presentation materials.
- Demonstrating exceptional interpersonal and communication skills to be a trusted and effective influencer of senior thought leaders within the organisation
- Working collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary, often regionally dispersed research team and business unit, to carry out tasks in support of CSIRO’s scientific objective
Location: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane or Canberra preferred, but can be based at any AU CSIRO site
Salary: AU$117k - AU$138k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 12 months
To be considered you will need:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline with significant experience across disciplines, preferably in a professional services consulting firm or in corporate strategy
- Demonstrated success in managing complex high-profile projects with multiple workstreams, extensive and diverse stakeholders, and tight deadlines. Proven ability to adapt to changing contexts and deliver results in an environment of high ambiguity and complexity
- Demonstrated ability to provide high-level strategic analysis on complex topics, recognise opportunities and provide clear and concise insights to support strategic decision-making and ensure competitive advantage across a national and global market
- Exceptional oral and written communication, interpersonal, negotiation and representational skills, with demonstrated ability to build and manage stakeholder relationships across diverse teams and large organisations
- Experience working with or within a science research agency and/or experience developing strategy and initiating multidisciplinary, cross-business projects in a research environment is desired
- Experience in a top-tier management consulting firm or a post-graduate degree in science and technology or business administration field is desired
For full details about this role, please review the Position Description.
Applications for this position are open to Australian Citizens, New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents only.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
19 May 2022, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT. Please note that CSIRO reserves the right to review applications and action accordingly prior to this date.
- Closing Date:
- 19 May 2022
- AU$117k - AU$138k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
Consulting, Strategy & Planning