Senior Curator - Australian National Insect Collection (ANIC) - [Archived Advertisement]
Senior Curator - Australian National Insect Collection (ANIC)
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the areas that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Assist in the curation and management of the Australian National Insect Collection
- Use your strong attention to detail to assess and deliver primary types to the digitisation pipeline
- Join our motivated team and help secure the future of insect biodiversity research in Australia
Housing over 12 million specimens, the Australian National Insect Collection (ANIC) is the largest collection of Australian insects and related invertebrates in the world.
As a Senior Curator, you will be one of several technical assistants in ANIC who curate and manage the collection. As part of the curatorial team, you will audit the 19,000 primary type specimens of Australian invertebrates in ANIC, and make them available to the Digitisation Team for databasing and imaging. With a focus on the identification and auditing of ANIC primary types, you will be guided by relevant research scientists and the ANIC Collection Manager in the assessment of type status against the taxonomic literature. Subject to funding, there may be an option for extending the term of this role in the future.
In this role you will:
- Identify and curate ANIC primary types (Holotypes, Lectotypes, Neotypes and Syntypes).
- With reference to the primary taxonomic literature, identify primary types in the collection and make them available to the Digitisation Team.
- Actively participate in curatorial activities of ANIC, as part of the Curatorial Team.
- Follow and develop protocols to achieve curatorial and digitisation objectives.
- Transfer information from insect specimens into electronic databases.
- Foster open communication and provide coaching and on-the-job training to both research and support colleagues.
- Adapt and/or develop original methods and workflows in support of existing and further type curation.
Location: Black Mountain (Canberra) ACT
Salary: AU$87k to AU$98k per annum, plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in animal systematics and taxonomy, or equivalent experience.
- Experience handling, identifying and curating specimens in a research setting.
- Experience in the taxonomic naming process and interpreting the associated taxonomic literature.
- The ability to focus on complex tasks with a strong attention to detail, and quickly adapt to changing circumstances.
- The ability to communicate well, work effectively as part of a team and coordinate activities carried out by others.
- The ability to demonstrate initiative and look for ways to make improvements to existing processes and protocols.
To see the full list of criteria for this role, please view the Position Details
Applications are open to:
- Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents
- New Zealand Citizens
- Australian temporary residents with the right to work for the expected duration of the term (at least to end of June, 2025), with no requirement for sponsorship.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent, and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply online and provide a CV and cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and your suitability for the role, paying particular attention to the requirements outlined in the Position details.
Sunday 15 May, 2022 (11pm AEST)
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.
- Closing Date:
- 15 May 2022
- ACT - Black Mountain
- AU$87k to AU$98k per annum, plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: