VS CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Soil Biogeochemistry and Ecology - [Archived Advertisement]
VS CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Soil Biogeochemistry and Ecology
Acknowledgment of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation.
- Do you have a PhD in soil biogeochemistry, microbial ecology, or ecological sciences?
- Want to be a part of the Valuing Sustainability Future Science Platform?
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
The Valuing Sustainability Future Science Platform (VS FSP) is a substantial new 5-year investment in cutting edge research by CSIRO that will recruit several post-docs who will be embedded in diverse inter-disciplinary research teams. The VS FSP aims to co-produce future pathways, measures, and indicators to underpin sustainable innovation and prosperity for current and future industries and communities.
This position sits within the ‘Functional Ecosystems for Nature + Prosperity project’. It offers an exciting opportunity to develop new leading indicators of ecosystem health and integrity and embed these indicators into decision processes to accelerate practice change for nature-positive outcomes across agri-food and nature-based ecosystems.
The successful candidate will drive the soil biogeochemistry component of the project to develop novel and trusted tools that act as early indicators of change to soil processes that are central to sustainable soil management. These tools will integrate knowledge of microbially driven biogeochemical cycles, and their impact on regulating the flow and fate of carbon and nutrients within agricultural and natural ecosystems.
Your duties will include:
- Carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Recognising and utilising opportunities for innovation and the generation of new theoretical perspectives, and progress opportunities for the further development or creation of new lines of research.
- Utilising design thinking methodology to plan and prepare research proposals and apply non-academic impact methodology to research projects.
- Carrying out research investigations requiring originality, creativity and innovation.
Location: Adelaide, SA
Salary: AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline such as soil biogeochemistry, microbial ecology, ecological sciences, or similar. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Demonstrated experience in applying ecological theory and soil biogeochemistry analysis to quantitatively account for carbon and nutrient flows through agricultural and/or natural ecosystems.
- Proficiency in data manipulation and statistical analysis, including multivariate analysis, bioinformatics and/or machine learning, using programming languages such as R, Python, C or similar.
- Interest in undertaking inter-disciplinary research linking ecological and biophysical sciences with social systems to ensure that science is effectively used to achieve real-world impact.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident, or Australian temporary resident currently residing in Australia (visa sponsorship may be provided to eligible onshore candidates).
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line providing a cover letter that includes a written response to each of the selection criteria, and your CV highlighting your research experience and achievements.
20 February 2022, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 20 Feb 2022
- AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: