CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Soft Robotic Design - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Soft Robotic Design
Acknowledgment of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation.
- Do you have a PhD in soft robotics, robotic design, computational design, machine learning for design, or structural optimisation?
- Want to be a part of the Robotics and Autonomous Systems Group with Data61?
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic and skilled researcher who will join the Robotics and Autonomous Systems Group with Data61 at CSIRO. This is an exciting opportunity to lead cutting-edge research in the computational design of multi-material mechanical structures for soft robots.
The position primarily focuses on developing high-performance soft robotics manipulation systems and creating powerful AI-based design software that allows for principled exploration and optimisation in unconventional soft robotic design spaces.
Your duties will include:
- Designing new soft robotic components, combining state of the art techniques across soft robotics, generative design, and machine learning.
- Producing high quality scientific and/or engineering papers suitable for publication in high quality journals and for presentation at top ranked international conferences.
- Carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Presenting your work to a wide variety of audiences and actively engaging in outreach activities
- Working effectively as an integral member of a multidisciplinary research team, to undertake independent scientific investigations and carry out associated tasks under broad guidance from more senior Research Scientists/Engineers.
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Salary: AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline such as soft robotics, robotic design, computational design, machine learning for design, structural optimisation, or similar. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Demonstrated experience in soft robotics (modelling, control, optimisation, design etc.), soft materials, or machine learning for design problems.
- Experience in scientific programming using C++ or Python.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
16 February 2022, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 16 Feb 2022
- QLD - Brisbane
- AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
3D Geometry, Robotics or Computer Vision
Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence