CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in X-ray Physics - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in X-ray Physics
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our?vision towards reconciliation.
- Do you have a PhD in physical sciences (physics, chemistry, environmental science, geosciences, mathematics?
- Be a part of frontier science & work with novel X-ray systems and develop new sensing-based methods
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
This is an exciting opportunity to work with novel X-ray systems and develop new sensing-based methods to determine the elemental composition of ore beyond the limits of what can currently be measured using existing techniques. The CERC fellow will be appointed in the CSIRO Mineral Resources’ X-ray Technologies Group at our Lucas Heights laboratory. The group develops novel X-ray analysis systems through research and development activities, with a strong focus on industry needs and commercialising successful technology.
This CERC Postdoctoral Fellowship is part of the Autonomous Sensing Future Science Platform, offering new opportunities to work on frontier science to accelerate the generation of new tools to enable growth of digital decision making within domains; combining fundamental sensor research with autonomous engineering solutions to provide new advanced sensing and platform technologies for the environmental monitoring, health monitoring, mining, agriculture, and manufacturing domains.
Your duties will include:
- Assembly of X-ray equipment including X-ray tubes and detectors, to support development of new measurement methods. This can include procurement of hardware, set up of equipment and use computer programming to run the experiment and collect data.
- Using deep knowledge of experimental physics to appropriate existing experimental methods and create new ones for determining the elemental composition of ore samples using X-ray analysis techniques.
- Develop software for controlling laboratory prototype equipment.
- Run Monte Carlo simulations to test ideas and/or validate experiments.
- Analyse experimental data and communicate outcomes.
- Take part in technology field trials in Australia and overseas
Location: Lucas Heights, NSW
Salary: AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
We’re interested in hearing from people who can demonstrate the following:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as physical sciences (physics, chemistry, environmental science, geosciences, mathematics), or a closely related field.
- Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Excellent experimental and measurement skills and an expert-level understanding of at least one spectroscopic technique (for example XRF, LIBS, Fourier transform infrared – FTIR) and associated analysis.
- Experience with computer programming, such as but not limited to Python, C, C++, and Matlab.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, both written and oral.
- A record of science innovation and creativity, including the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, potentially regionally dispersed research team, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa and be able to commence in the role by 30 March 2022.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
11 February 2022, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 11 Feb 2022
- NSW - Lucas Heights
- AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
Environmental Science/Earth Science