CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Diffraction Contrast Tomography for Earth and Planetary Sciences - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Diffraction Contrast Tomography for Earth and Planetary Sciences
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our?vision towards reconciliation.
- Do you have a PhD in geoscience, material science, planetary science, physics, or similar?
- Want to conduct world class research and development with a team of dedicated professionals?
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
The successful candidate will join the Characterisation Program within the CSIRO Mineral Resources Business Unit to develop the application of Diffraction Contrast Tomography for Earth and Planetary Sciences. Understanding how crystals and minerals are distributed within natural materials and their characteristics is key to understanding fundamental processes across a range of fields.
This project is a golden opportunity for an enterprising, creative, innovative, and agile Early Career Scientist to lead the Diffraction Contrast Tomography application development further.
Your duties will include:
- Developing new applications of diffraction contrast tomography for Earth and Planetary Sciences by combining and analysing a range of 2D and 3D correlative techniques at multiscale
- Creating new workflows and algorithms for data fusion and processing
- Developing a range of high-level skills such as advanced multiscale characterization, correlative microscopy, mineralogy, crystallography, applied geosciences and digital capabilities (image processing, computer vision and machine learning)
- Contributing to the development of new innovative concepts and methodologies and progress opportunities for the further development or creation of new lines of research and help deliver to CSIRO’s organisational objectives, plans, and strategies
Location: Perth, WA
Salary: AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as geoscience, material science, planetary science, physics, or similar
Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Demonstrated experience in multiple 2D or 3D microscopy and characterisation techniques (such as X-ray computed tomography, diffraction contrast tomography, scanning electron microscopy, electron back scattered diffraction, electron microprobe, X-ray fluorescence mapping or LA-ICP-MS etc.)
- Experience and skill in programming is highly desirable (e.g., Python or Matlab)
- Experience in image analysis and quantification, and/or computer vision and machine learning, is also highly regarded
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible for this role, you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or Australian temporary resident currently residing in Australia and be able to commence in the role by 30 June 2022.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
30 January 2022, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 30 Jan 2022
- WA - Perth
- AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: