CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Synthetic Biology and Bioremediation of Organic Pollutants - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Synthetic Biology and Bioremediation of Organic Pollutants
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our?vision towards reconciliation.
- Do you have a PhD in molecular microbiology, synthetic biology, or similar?
- Want to conduct world class research and development with a team of dedicated professionals?
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
Persistent organic pollutants (POPs) or “forever chemicals” are considered of high concern to human health and the environment around the world. Human and environmental risks from POPs has gained increased world-wide attention with the emergence of per- and polyfluroalkyl substances (PFAS). The use of PFAS in aqueous film forming foams has resulted in a worldwide problem of PFAS contamination in the environment. There is an urgent need to develop innovative “green” technologies for PFAS management.
The successful candidate will join a team of world-class innovators to develop new bioremediation solutions for PFAS. They will also have access to state-of-the-art facilities and resources to deliver world-class research to develop innovative solutions for PFAS bioremediation.
Your duties will include:
- Designing and conducting experiments to determine the genetic/enzymatic basis for the bacterial transformation of organohalide pollutants (e.g., PFAS)
- Building novel genetic tools to engineer non-model organisms
- Working collaboratively with the broader research team in Canberra, Adelaide, Perth, Brisbane, and York in the UK. This may include travel, depending on travel restrictions
- Carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
Location: Canberra, ACT
Salary: AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as molecular microbiology, synthetic biology, or similar
Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Demonstrable expertise and practical experience in molecular microbiology and biochemistry/enzymology
- Demonstrable experience with chemical analysis, especially of organohalides or other persistent organic pollutants
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible for this role, you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or Australian temporary resident currently residing in Australia and be able to commence in the role by 30 June 2022.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
30 January 2022, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 30 Jan 2022
- AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: