Scientific Computing Specialist - Storage DevOps - [Archived Advertisement]
Scientific Computing Specialist - Storage DevOps
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, in the areas where we live and work across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Endless opportunities to grow & develop your career
- Flexible work arrangements! Mix of home and office
- Join CSIRO - Australia's National Science and Innovation Agency!
The Scientific Computing group within CSIRO’s Information Management & Technology function provides end-to-end infrastructure ranging from generic corporate IT systems through to leading-edge High-Performance data processing tools and platforms. The teams manage over 60PB of data at a compounded annual growth rate of ~75%, and a proportionate computational and network fabric including several Top500 supercomputers, HPC Cloud and a highly versatile and robust corporate hosting platform. Additional services include advanced visualisation, Data Processing, application support, and software delivery. The capability is highly customer focussed and operates closely in partnership with all areas of CSIRO research.
Your duties will include:
- Reliable, timely and cost-efficient service delivery driven through the collection of metrics and analytics of usage patterns and system behaviours.
- Delivery of inherently secure data platforms through SecDevOps Infrastructure as code methods working closely with IMT Security and guided by the Australian Government Information Security Manual
- Provide high level DevOps support services as part of the Data team. Work activities are expected to cover both compute, software and data storage systems, and include:
- Problem solving at a high level for scripts and workflows.
- Automate tasks around infrastructure/software/compute.
- Provide operational support for monitoring/metrics collections.
- Development and use of DevSecOps for storage environments using CI/CD, Ansible, and K8.
- Provide high level support services as part of a team for the internal and partner systems. Work activities are expected to include:
- Engaging with vendors to understand API’s and deliver reporting systems for metrics.
- Effective tracking and response to as needed support issues.
- Documentation, including the development and maintenance of locally written user guides for scientific computing.
Location: All IMT site’s locations Australia wide
Salary: AU$102k to $111k pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified Term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- Education/Qualifications: Tertiary qualification in Science, Engineering, Computer Science or Information Technology or other relevant field.
- Experience developing and operating multiple large scale data storage infrastructure (e.g NetApp, DDN, Lustre, Hitachi) and services in an Research context.
- Experience developing with Python/Jupyter of data analytics and retrieval of/processing-of metrics from data-lakes/ELK. in scientific environments.
- Experience with configuration management, continuous integration, automation, and deployment systems.
- Experience in Linux systems administration with an emphasis on security.
- Experience working with complex distributed systems including managing high availability and scheduling of work (e.g. Kubernetes).
- Familiar with decomposing applications into multiple microservices (e.g. Docker) and making them talk to each other, passing secrets/sensitive data shared data volumes).
- Demonstrated experience with one or more vendor supported storage and protection technologies in a large organisation supporting critical services.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To be eligible to work in this role you must be an Australian Citizen
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additionally, the successful candidate will be required to obtain and maintain a security clearance at the NV1 level.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
16th January 2022, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 16 Jan 2022
- AU$102k to $111k pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time