Research Scientist - Hydrogeologist/Groundwater Hydrologist - [Archived Advertisement]
Research Scientist - Hydrogeologist/Groundwater Hydrologist
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation.
- Do you have experience in hydrogeological & groundwater characterisation?
- Contribute to water security across a range of research areas
- Join CSIRO Land and Water and make a difference!
The CSIRO Land and Water Business Unit is seeking a motivated Research Scientist - Hydrogeologist/Groundwater Hydrologist to join the Sustainable Groundwater Futures team.
As the successful candidate, you will further develop hydrogeology and groundwater assessment core capabilities to meet research demands in water security and in regional groundwater resource characterization and management. This is particularly so in the context of extractive resource development, agriculture, changing climatic conditions and enhanced water security through conjunctive use of surface water and groundwater in key areas around the country (e.g. Murray-Darling Basin, Great Artesian Basin, Northern Territory). This capability integrates skills across hydrogeological characterization using multiple lines of evidence, groundwater hydrology, geo-statistics, and spatial-temporal groundwater data analytics emergent techniques in the Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence domain.
To be successful, you will need experience in hydrogeological characterisation using multiple lines of evidence, groundwater resources assessment, groundwater hydrology and surface water-groundwater system evaluation and a history of undertaking original, creative and innovative research.
Your duties will include:
- Supporting and conducting innovative research in hydrogeological conceptualisation and characterisation for better understanding of groundwater processes, aquifers connectivity and groundwater-surface water exchanges.
- Applying and developing innovative statistical techniques to add value to hydrogeological and groundwater hydrology assessment and repurposing existing collected data as well as expanding the expertise in groundwater resource assessment.
- Supporting and undertaking research on groundwater resource assessment applying a broad range of geoscientific data analytics tools and data sources to support Digital Water and Landscape strategic initiative as well as contributing to Integrated Regional Water Assessments in key basins across Australia.
- Fostering collaboration across other Business Units to enhance the understanding of groundwater's role to support productive sectors such as irrigated agriculture, mining and gas/petroleum.
- Undertaking fieldwork involving the collection of groundwater and surface water hydrochemistry and tracer samples.
Location: Brisbane (Dutton Park) QLD; other locations by negotiation
Salary: AU$102k - AU$111k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a relevant field such as geology, hydrogeology, groundwater hydrology, environmental science, or other relevant geo-science domain.
- Demonstrated experience in hydrogeological characterisation using multiple lines of evidence, groundwater resources assessment, groundwater hydrology, surface water-groundwater system evaluation.
- Strong communication skills coupled with the ability to present results of scientific investigations at national/international conferences and stakeholder meetings.
- A publication history of authorship on scientific papers in peer reviewed journals and/or reports, conference proceedings, grant applications or inventorship on patent applications.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research group, and carry out independent individual research to achieve organisational goals.
- A history of undertaking original, creative and innovative research by generating and pursuing novel ideas and solutions to scientific research problems.
- A current driver’s licence and to be willing and able to undertake fieldwork as required.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To be considered for this role, you must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa (visa sponsorship may be provided to eligible candidates).
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
28th November 2021, 11:00 pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 28 Nov 2021
- QLD - Dutton Park
- AU$102k - AU$111k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Environmental Science/Earth Science