Research Scientist in High Performance Computing - [Archived Advertisement]
Research Scientist in High Performance Computing
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation.
- Help pave the way for the challenge of building and operating the Square Kilometre Array in Australia
- Use your skills to solve big data and large-scale computing problems for radio astronomy
- Join the CSIRO – a diverse team working together on research to deliver impact for a better Australia!
We are looking for someone to engage in scientific activity ranging from fundamental research to the investigation of specific industry or community problems. You will be able to collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders to build and maintain networks, secure project funds, provide scientific leadership, support, and guidance and be empowered to pursue new ideas and approaches that create new concepts. It is anticipated that the?appointee will undertake research and development activities to?optimise?the software pipelines and leverage the latest High-Performance Computing (HPC) technology capabilities of the new?Pawsey?Supercomputing System, named?Setonix.?
You will have access to flexible work options, travel, and multiple leave options including paid parental leave and will have access to world-class facilities based at local universities where CSIRO has collaborative arrangements in place, and at other CSIRO sites across Australia.
Your duties will include:
- Liaise with project stakeholders, including ASKAP Scientists, Software Engineers, and Pawsey Technical staff to determine their requirements and priorities.
- Assist in the design, implementation and testing of scientific software, and carry out research investigations, requiring originality, creativity and innovation.
- Contribute to the ASKAP and Pawsey software development teams in the areas of: HPC I/O optimisation, parallel programming techniques and use of accelerator technologies (GPU) for Radio Astronomy.
- Present results in a meaningful format, prepare reports for project stakeholders and/or write scientific papers for publication.
- Draw on expertise, knowledge of other disciplines and recognise opportunities for innovation and formulate software solutions by pursuing new ideas/approaches and networking with scientific and engineering colleagues across a range of disciplines
Location: Perth, WA (Preferred), other CSIRO locations may be negotiated
Salary: AU$100k - AU$108k per annum (pro-rata for part-time) plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified Term of 3 years Full-time or Part-time options available
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD in a relevant field such as Computational Chemistry/Physics/Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent, with 2+ years of relevant experience in research and development
- A demonstrated publication history of authorship on scientific papers in peer reviewed journals, reports, grant applications or inventorship on patent applications.
- Advanced programming experience with focus on developing scientific computing applications running on HPC platforms
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
All candidates are eligible to apply.
The successful candidate will be asked to obtain and provide evidence of a National Police Clearance or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
21 November 2021, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 21 Nov 2021
- AU$100k - AU$108k per annum (pro-rata for part-time) plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time