Research Scientist - Molecular Plant Pathology
Research Scientist - Molecular Plant Pathology
- Use your skills to functionally evaluate biofungicide formulations
- Contribute to research sustaining and enhancing agriculture
- Join CSIRO Agriculture and Food and make a difference!
CSIRO Agriculture and Food is seeking a motivated Research Scientist – Molecular Plant Pathology to join the Crop Immunity Group that is part of the Traits Program. This is a dynamic program that develops and deploys traits to industry to sustain and enhance agriculture within Australia and across the globe. The Crop Immunity group works on solutions to major yield-limiting pest and disease problems of crops, with a focus on broad acre farming systems.
As the successful candidate, you will be a part of a larger, high performing, multidisciplinary project team working with agribusiness to research biofungicide production and evaluation in crop protection. You will functionally evaluate biofungicides in vitro and in planta within controlled environments. Most activities will be laboratory, glasshouse and office based, but occasionally field work will be required. To be successful, you will be able to demonstrate relevant knowledge and experience in all these environments.
Your duties will include:
- Under limited direction, assisting in research planning and carrying out research investigations, requiring originality, creativity and innovation to functionally evaluate biofungicide formulations in vitro and in planta.
- Refining methods or tools (phenotyping, molecular or analytical) for biofungicide evaluation.
- Managing collection, processing and analysis of data from experiments conducted in the laboratory, controlled environments and the field.
- Leading and contributing to ensure timely project delivery including the conducting, interpretation and reporting of research results to an external client and other relevant stakeholders and the scientific community in peer-reviewed journals.
Location: Canberra (Black Mountain) ACT
Salary: AU$102k - AU$111k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term until 28th June 2024
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a relevant field such as molecular plant pathology, plant pathology, molecular microbiology or microbiology.
- A strong background and demonstrated experience in designing and undertaking plant-fungal disease assays within controlled environments.
- Experience in molecular microbiology and molecular biology techniques for functional characterisation of plant or microbe traits.
- Experience or a good understanding of co-ordinating field trials and working with contract research organisations.
- Evidence of working effectively with research teams and supervising others, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research.
- Good communication skills with a demonstrated publication history of authorship on scientific papers in peer reviewed journals and/or reports, or inventorship on patent applications.
- A history of undertaking original, creative and innovative research by generating and pursuing novel ideas and solutions to scientific research problems.
- To be willing and able to conduct overnight trips to field sites in regional locations.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To be eligible for this role, you must be:
• An Australian/New Zealand Citizen
• An Australian Permanent Resident or
• An Australian temporary resident currently residing in Australia (visa sponsorship may be provided to eligible candidates).
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
7 November 2021, 11:00 pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 07 Nov 2021
- ACT - Black Mountain
- AU$102k - AU$111k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: