CSIRO Winanga-y Postdoctoral Fellowship in Legume Peptides with Health and Microbiome Benefits - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Winanga-y Postdoctoral Fellowship in Legume Peptides with Health and Microbiome Benefits
- Do you have a PhD in chemistry, protein chemistry, biochemistry or molecular biology?
- Be part of the team developing new research approaches and technologies
- An exciting opportunity to work within a multidisciplinary team developing cutting edge science solutions
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
This role will address the fundamental scientific and technical challenges associated with optimising and characterising the digestive release of peptides from legume proteins that have been selectively modified using bioprocessing strategies such as enzymic and microbial treatments.
The Postdoctoral Fellow will develop their skills at the interface of food science (Werribee, Agriculture & Food) and human health (Adelaide, Health & Biosecurity) through working with researchers experienced in developing cutting edge science solutions that lead to impact through novel functional food products. Throughout the project, the researcher will have the opportunity to join the multidisciplinary teams at their respective laboratories.
This role represents a key component for the development of new research approach and technologies to identify the peptide digesta from the bioprocessed legume proteins that demonstrate in in-vitro or in-vivo models superior nutritional, functional, metabolic and/or gut health benefits over the control. The role will be closely integrated with other members of the novel functional food protein team providing technology platforms, and expertise to support research commercialisation and/or grant funding which will form the basis for bringing a legume product optimised through bioprocessing to market.
We are thrilled to be able to deliver on the commitment we made in our strategy to invest in frontier science with the new CSIRO Agriculture & Food Winanga-y Postdoctoral Fellowship scheme. The word Winanga-y (pronounced win-na-gnay) is a cultural asset gifted by the Traditional Owners from the Gomeroi Nation in Myall Vale to CSIRO’s Agriculture and Food business unit to name the new Postdoctoral Fellowship Scheme. Winanga-y means to understand, know, remember, and think.
Your duties will include:
- Carrying out research investigations in legume protein digestibility and health-promoting properties (including gut health) of legume proteins/peptides requiring originality, creativity and innovation.
- Carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Recognising and exploiting opportunities for innovation and the generation of new theoretical perspectives, and progressing opportunities for the further development or creation of new lines of research.
- Utilising design thinking methodology to plan and prepare research proposals and apply non-academic impact methodology to research projects.
- Producing high quality scientific papers suitable for publication in quality journals, for client reports, granting of patents or further research proposals.
Location: Werribee, Victoria
Salary: AU$88k - AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as chemistry, protein chemistry, biochemistry or molecular biology with additional experience in protein in chemistry, enzymology, food chemistry/science or metabolomic/proteomic characterisation. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Wet lab experience involving aspects such as modifications of proteins or peptides to affect physicochemical properties or function.
- Experience or knowledge in the development and implementation of in vitro protein digestion kinetics of proteins, peptides or other food components.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including the presentation of research outcomes at national and international conferences.
- A sound history of publication in peer reviewed journals and/or authorship of scientific papers, reports, grant applications or patents.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible to for role, you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or Australian temporary resident currently residing in Australia and be able to commence in the role by December 2021/January 2022.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
10 October 2021, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 10 Oct 2021
- VIC - Werribee
- AU$88k - AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: