CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Engineering High Value Protein in Chickpea - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Engineering High Value Protein in Chickpea
- Do you have a PhD in carbon partitioning with a preference in plant reserve protein or carbohydrate metabolism?
- Be involved in ground-breaking research on plant-based protein
- Join a multi-disciplinary team for this exciting postdoctoral opportunity
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
We are thrilled to be able to deliver on the commitment we made in our strategy to invest in frontier science with the new CSIRO Agriculture & Food Winanga-y Postdoctoral Fellowship scheme. The word Winanga-y (pronounced win-na-gnay) is a cultural asset gifted by the Gomeroi Nation in Myall Vale to CSIRO's Agriculture and Food Business Unit to name the new Postdoctoral Fellowship Scheme. Winanga-y means to understand, know, remember, and think.
This project seeks to break new ground by exploiting the communication between carbohydrate, oil, and protein biosynthesis in chickpea, with a vision of creating radically redesigned high-protein pulses to meet burgeoning global demand for plant-based protein.
Your duties will include:
- Using a functional genomic approach to identify key factors in carbon partitioning and energy homeostasis in chickpea.
- Exploring the metabolic relationship between protein, starch and oil, by engineering chickpea to redirect starch and oil accumulation and degradation into amino acid synthesis and protein accumulation.
- Using the gene editing capability developed in CSIRO to tailor carbon partitioning to redirect carbon to protein synthesis.
- Carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Recognising and exploiting opportunities for innovation and the generation of new theoretical perspectives, and progressing opportunities for the further development or creation of new lines of research.
Location: Canberra, ACT
Salary: AU$88k - AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as carbon partitioning with a preference in plant reserve protein or carbohydrate metabolism. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Demonstrated laboratory skills associated with plant biochemistry and metabolism
- Demonstrated experience in molecular biology and/or genetic engineering.
- Demonstrated good statistical knowledge and experience in bioinformatics and computational biology tools.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including the presentation of research outcomes at national and international conferences.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible to for role, you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or Australian temporary resident currently residing in Australia and be able to commence in the role by December 2021/January 2022.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
10 October 2021, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 10 Oct 2021
- ACT - Canberra
- AU$88k - AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: