Senior Engineer - Parkes Observatory
Senior Engineer - Parkes Observatory
- Draw on your expertise to lead the technical team at ‘The Dish’
- Act as site leader at this iconic location
- Support key projects across NSW Observatories
CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, operates a number of world-class radio astronomy observatories that are collectively known as the Australia Telescope National Facility or ATNF. CSIRO also manages the Murchison Radio-astronomy Observatory (MRO), which is home to the Australia Square Kilometre Array Pathfinder (ASKAP) Telescope and where the Square Kilometre Array telescope infrastructure in Australia is to be centred.
CSIRO’s Space and Astronomy business unit is seeking a highly motivated Engineer to lead the technical team at the iconic Parkes Observatory (“The Dish”). You will take the lead role in the day-to-day operation of the site, by supporting the local staff in maintaining high levels of reliability and performance of Observatory systems and infrastructure. As a skilled engineer you will contribute to the engineering maintenance, operations and upgrades for the Parkes 64-m and 12-m telescopes and provide engineering expertise to support other ATNF facilities as required.
With responsibility for representing CSIRO locally, you will also act as the Site Leader to provide a local leadership presence. The Site Leader role is critical in supporting social cohesion and will have oversight of Health, Safety, Environmental and Emergency Management on site.
Your duties will include:
- Leading the Parkes Observatory team to ensure smooth day-to-day operations of the Observatory.
- Acting as the Site leader and the Observatory’s point of contact.
- Coordinating out-of-hours support for Observatory operations.
- Representing CSIRO and the ATNF at local events as well as VIP and media visits.
- Contributing to the maintenance, operations and upgrades of Observatory systems and equipment.
- Providing specialist engineering support and skills to other ATNF Observatories.
- Helping to coordinate activities to support key projects across NSW observatories.
Location: Parkes, New South Wales
Salary: AU$115k - AU$135k per annum (pro-rata for part-time), plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite, full-time (job share may be considered if circumstances permit)
To be considered you will need:
- A degree in engineering in a relevant field.
- A sound understanding of a broad range of engineering principles and high-level ‘hands-on’ technical and problem solving skills.
- Experience managing and leading staff in an operational environment, including Health, Safety and Environment matters.
- The ability to build relationships, work collaboratively and manage complex professional relationships.
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills.
- An Australian Class ‘C’ driver’s licence (or equivalent).
- The ability and willingness to travel to other ATNF Observatories for up to a week at a time.
- The ability to access telescope structures and work at heights.
For full details about this role please view the Position Details
Applications are open to all candidates.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent;
If the successful candidate is not an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident, they may be required to undergo additional security clearances, which may include medical examinations and an international standardised test of English language proficiency (i.e. IELTS test).
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply online and provide a CV and cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and your suitability for the role, paying particular attention to the requirements outlined in the Position Details.
Monday 4 October, 2021 (11:00pm AEST)
- Closing Date:
- 04 Oct 2021
- NSW - Parkes
- AU$115k - AU$135k per annum (pro-rata for part-time), plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time